I noticed the dwarf hairgrass pearling, sending bubbles up to the surface. 😍 Already!

I also put in one single shrimp cuisine because the shrimps still seemed to be looking for something to forage; they seemed restless. Shrimp cuisine is teeny tiny food, like a fish food micro pellet. The gang was passing it around. The snails didn’t notice it and were more interested in cleaning the driftwood and cholla wood. Being super careful about what goes into the water since there is no filter. But, so far so good.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 1

Yeah so.. maybe like a half dozen more wilds added to the jar. Getting a little crazy right? Trust me, I realize. I actually didn’t realize how many wilds I had, but they just keep appearing at random times when I observe the shrimp tank. Also boiled a little piece of lettuce leaf for them to ensure everyone has snacks without affecting parameters like commercial foods would. Tested again this morning and 0/0/10. Good stuff. 

• Love 1

On 3/26/2023 at 7:55 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yeah so.. maybe like a half dozen more wilds added to the jar. Getting a little crazy right? Trust me, I realize. I actually didn’t realize how many wilds I had, but they just keep appearing at random times when I observe the shrimp tank. Also boiled a little piece of lettuce leaf for them to ensure everyone has snacks without affecting parameters like commercial foods would. Tested again this morning and 0/0/10. Good stuff. 

Any plans to add some to your other tanks in the future?

Just a few shots of our residents this morning. The usual testing performed with no change in parameters.

The dwarf hairgrass has been a bit unruly because it hasn’t rooted yet, I guess you could say it's more like plugs to start out with. There have been a few occasions where it wanted to float. Also when I moved plants I had at least 1 limpet hitchhiker.  Well, hooray ecosystem!  It's good for the jar!  Think he came over solo? 😇

7B4DAC5D-9791-47E5-A6BB-B3C977846C8A.jpeg

A5B5E82A-FD23-410F-8F0E-E6016A66BF53.jpeg

C6F7BB33-63DA-4B22-AC49-2B4840761791.jpeg

DA138751-3AB7-4525-B639-1ACCC2B238D7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was maintaining Geppetto’s tank today and I noticed an S. Repens that had popped up, so I seized the opportunity to add it to the shrimp bowl.

909F87B4-2198-4B58-AD9B-DB02AE463C21.jpeg.0589a875d0ec19a5003566f010f4b506.jpeg

45B0EA71-5AFC-48FF-B360-4FE1C69D66C4.jpeg.6e5e82f3d26fa439a85b84828802a832.jpeg

I think it looks rather nice.

My friend gave me two alder cones out of a shrimp kit she bought. Those are perfect for the bowl because they are so small. I boiled them for 1 minute, cooled them, and put them in. But they float! So I tucked them under the larger sword leaves.

9A95800B-AB51-46BE-94D3-108BBABFE317.jpeg.4871a3b9740cc3e2ebdbdc7a643c34bc.jpeg

This one came up but the hair algae snagged it and kept it in place. What’s cute is, while I was placing the cone with my tongs, a shrimp came and grabbed it and “helped out”. 🥰

E4DD99B2-2A8D-4078-A07E-1E914C687734.jpeg.5c52160a8efee19c32328bafa2b105d5.jpeg

It seems the cones are an instant hit with these two.

She gave me tourmaline balls also but I don’t really know much about them so I’m hesitant to add them to a tank or to the bowl.

The dwarf hairgrass continues to be a bit unruly, popping up randomly.  It takes 2 tools to get it to stay buried.  One to tuck it, and one to hold it in place while removing the first tool.  

As usual water testing.  I just tested for ammonia, really - which remains at 0.  

Two more wilds have been added to the bowl.

Each day I've been tweaking (increasing) the light timer a bit.  To try to sync it to when the lights come on for my other tanks. I don't want this light to wake those tanks earlier than they normally would awaken.  I have it at about 14 hours with the 1 hour siesta.  I may increase the siesta to 2 hours. I believe that is what the Walstad article recommended.  But Walstad also had hers near a window, and I do not.  It gets some natural light from a nearby sliding door, but it's across the room from that door so I doubt that is enough daylight to encourage algae.  Also there is a UV-blocking film on that door as well.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 7:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

With this jar I think you might be culling the carbons to the wild types.  Slight difference, but just depends on which you're wanting.  Given how much is popping, eventually you'll have some really nice black rose shrimp!

I can't tell the difference - I'm just kind of seeing a massive amount of blue shrimp in the 10g, and the few that are obviously different from the rest (brown, gray, or clear) are being moved to the jar.  

• Love 1

On 3/28/2023 at 5:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

This one came up but the hair algae snagged it and kept it in place. What’s cute is, while I was placing the cone with my tongs, a shrimp came and grabbed it and “helped out”. 🥰

Too perfect!

On 3/28/2023 at 5:22 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

She gave me tourmaline balls also but I don’t really know much about them so I’m hesitant to add them to a tank or to the bowl.

Clay balls. Has minerals for them. Perfectly safe. It can either add stuff to the water or just for them to graze on. Mark's Shrimp Tanks has a vid.

On 3/28/2023 at 5:46 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I can't tell the difference - I'm just kind of seeing a massive amount of blue shrimp in the 10g, and the few that are obviously different from the rest (brown, gray, or clear) are being moved to the jar.  

Wild type eventually makes the carbon.

Neocaridina-1_1024x1024.jpg.ef61ea1f315e58eb37c07daaf49ff037.jpg

To this

Carbon-Rili-Shrimp_-AA-Bred-Small-STAMPED-8_1024x1024.jpg.3c308385a06921f33336ce9152f8c6a1.jpg

On 3/28/2023 at 12:17 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Too perfect!

Clay balls. Has minerals for them. Perfectly safe. It can either add stuff to the water or just for them to graze on. Mark's Shrimp Tanks has a vid.

Wild type eventually makes the carbon.

Neocaridina-1_1024x1024.jpg.ef61ea1f315e58eb37c07daaf49ff037.jpg

To this

Carbon-Rili-Shrimp_-AA-Bred-Small-STAMPED-8_1024x1024.jpg.3c308385a06921f33336ce9152f8c6a1.jpg

Super cool. Do the tourmaline balls have to be boiled or anything first?

On 3/28/2023 at 2:30 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Mark. Maybe that’s why I couldn’t find it.🙂

Yeah, everything is buried under different things. He got them with a shrimp order and it's in that video. I've seen him talk about them and people say they don't do anything, he said it's just like a moss ball to him. Just a surface and either it's helpful or it isn't, but that it doesn't do any harm and is beneficial if it does help.

Found one of em....

Edited by nabokovfan87
added video
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2023 at 7:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Crazy how well yours are doing already

The ones in the jar, well, the hairgrass, doesn’t have real roots yet. It keeps wanting to float. It looked like plugs when I bought it. Healthy and green though. I think it just needs time to get established.

• Like 1

Checking in on the jar this morning, and all is well.  When the light came on, I noticed everyone was already doing stuff.  I suppose the little guys just keep going 24/7, unless they noticed the lights from the nearby tanks that had come on first.  Ammonia test 0.  I never know if they have enough to eat so I did add a pinch of Repashy powder.  I pinch this under the water, and one little guy came to investigate, free swimming and watching as it was released. The bladder snails continue to "moonwalk", travelling upside down on the surface and keeping it clean.  I'm thankful I added those little guys.  I never expected the surface cleaning from them, but it seems that's their favorite place to be. @TOtrees

• Like 3