New to the Hobby with MTS

Hi All,

I'm from Sydney Australia and only been in the hobby for about 2 months, got my first all in one 50L tank as my 1 year old son always seemed interested when visiting aquariums etc. but now up to 4 tanks with plans for another 1 or 2.

50L community tank - 10 neon tetras, 3 guppies, 6 platies, 2 female Bettas, 1 golden catfish

Got some babies being raised in a breeder tank hanging off the front, presumably platies

Realised one of the Bettas we bought as female for the community tank must be male as it's been quite aggressive (killed a handful of the tetras and our elephant ear guppy) and we then found the other female giving birth with the suspected male wrapped around her squeezing the eggs out.

I'm bubbling the eggs in a cup but not sure if any will be viable, 2 days now, had some eggs about a month ago that I had assumed were tetras but now realise were probably from the Bettas as well.

The male Betta has now been separated into a bowl while I plan a 5th tank, just posted separately about a possible sump project for that and the following 20L tanks I've already got

20L - 10 cherry red shrimp, 1 mystery snail, 1 ramshorn snail

20L - 1 red male Betta, 1 bristlenose (not the aggressor from the community tank, separate purchase)

300L community tank - 3 salmon red rainbows, 4 electric blue rams, 8 peppermint/albino/mix of bristlenose, 10 cardinal tetras

Was looking for another tank initially to separate the female Bettas before we realised the problematic Betta was likely male and stumbled upon this 300L for sale fully stocked, moved it over and got everyone back in the tank with no deaths yet (6 days) although one of the Rams is being treated for a fungus infection prior to the purchase, hopefully they pull through.

Anyway seems like I've really jumped in the deep end but that's where I'm up to at the moment, thanks.

Luke

PXL_20230322_235213056.jpg

PXL_20230322_235223692.jpg

PXL_20230322_235249432.MP.jpg

PXL_20230323_000055746.jpg

PXL_20230323_000059751.jpg

PXL_20230322_235155944.jpg

PXL_20230322_235207842.jpg

PXL_20230318_004810617.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 3/22/2023 at 8:04 PM, purpledingo said:

Anyway seems like I've really jumped in the deep end but that's where I'm up to at the moment, thanks.

Haha, I'll say! Welcome to the hobby, and welcome to the forum! It seems like you've done your research, at least. Two months in and you've already got breeding projects!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:35 PM, John Henry said:

Welcome @purpledingo, MTS from the start---gotta love it !!!  What is the name of the floating vine plant with all the roots in the tank with the red betta?  I haven't seen that one in the U.S.

Hey John, I'm actually not sure sorry, I haven't really retained any plant names apart from Anubias at this point. It was recommended by my LFS instead of duckweed for a floating plant and it certainly grows well, I've got aquasoil in the tank but I'm not dosing any fertilisers, it was actually a cutting from my 50L community tank when setting up the Betta tank.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 9:05 AM, John Henry said:

Welcome @purpledingo, MTS from the start---gotta love it !!!  What is the name of the floating vine plant with all the roots in the tank with the red betta?  I haven't seen that one in the U.S.

That plant with the roots is Brazilian pennywort 

s.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1