Larry the Panda garra

Cheesy

Hi so about 8 years ago I I was walking through a local (ish) fish and reptile shop and saw these tiny little silver sucker fish in tank sat on top of each other and thought they were so cute, so like an idiot I bought both of them without knowing how to care for them. I took them home and one died after about a year (killed by the other one I believe) but they only seemed to hate each other once my bristlenose plec had died. Almost as if they were know competing to replace the plec as “top dog”. 

Ever since then this little guy (named Larry) has been through ALOT. But I can never really find much info on him other then a name, and NOT A SINGLE PERSON seems to recognise the name “panda garra”. 

so I guess I don’t really have any questions about his care, but just wanting to know more about this little guy and if people can explain why he’s so tough and some of his behaviour. As well as why he’s so rare and unheard off here in the UK. Maybe they’re more popular somewhere else?!?

A quick list of stuff he has survived:

Gone a long time without water changes, survived over 10 hours below 10C TWICE, as well as aggressive fish, white spot outbreaks and he also dragged himself out the water once, he was sucking his way up the glass while I was doing a water change, and when he hit the surface he just kept going until his whole body was out the water. 

Also I would HIGHLY recommend this fish to a beginner, they’re durable, not fussy eaters, pretty peaceful with Khuli loaches and corydoras, he occasionally chases some of the other fish but usually only fish larger then himself (he has a love hate relationship with my gourami) 

57 minutes ago, Cheesy said:

Hi so about 8 years ago I I was walking through a local (ish) fish and reptile shop and saw these tiny little silver sucker fish in tank sat on top of each other and thought they were so cute, so like an idiot I bought both of them without knowing how to care for them. I took them home and one died after about a year (killed by the other one I believe) but they only seemed to hate each other once my bristlenose plec had died. Almost as if they were know competing to replace the plec as “top dog”. 

Ever since then this little guy (named Larry) has been through ALOT. But I can never really find much info on him other then a name, and NOT A SINGLE PERSON seems to recognise the name “panda garra”. 

so I guess I don’t really have any questions about his care, but just wanting to know more about this little guy and if people can explain why he’s so tough and some of his behaviour. As well as why he’s so rare and unheard off here in the UK. Maybe they’re more popular somewhere else?!?

A quick list of stuff he has survived:

Gone a long time without water changes, survived over 10 hours below 10C TWICE, as well as aggressive fish, white spot outbreaks and he also dragged himself out the water once, he was sucking his way up the glass while I was doing a water change, and when he hit the surface he just kept going until his whole body was out the water. 

Also I would HIGHLY recommend this fish to a beginner, they’re durable, not fussy eaters, pretty peaceful with Khuli loaches and corydoras, he occasionally chases some of the other fish but usually only fish larger then himself (he has a love hate relationship with my gourami) 

There not that popular in Canada. I have been looking everywhere for one. 

• Like 1