Help me identifying my plecos

gcalberto

I bought 4 plecos, which were supposed to be L333. When I got them, I saw one that was definitely a L333, two that might be a L333 but has white stripes and not yellowish, and one that is probably not a L333. I'll attach the photos of all 3, in the order I described them.

Another story is that i friend of mine who owns a local store got a pleco mixed in a batch of paraotocinclus. He couldn't identify the species and he gave it to me so that I would keep it and grow it out to maybe make it easier to identify it. I'll also attach a photo oh him in this post.

Can anyone help me with the correct identification of all those plecos?

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-21 at 20.22.57.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-21 at 20.32.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-21 at 19.50.26.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-20 at 17.29.12.jpeg

Edited by gcalberto

11 hours ago, Tiffany said:

I'm new to the hobby and can't really help, however, I was trying to find information about my recently acquired clown pleco and was given this link by aquarium coop. I hope it helps you in identifying those guys for you. 

https://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/

Thank you for the link! 

As a matter of fact, I use this website to research each pleco needs before purchasing it. 

I personally couldn't tell their species, even with the help of this website, infortunely 

9 hours ago, Tiffany said:

You're welcome! 

The 2nd one kind of looks like a bigger version of my clown..🤔

I'm not home but will send a photo of it when I can. Not sure if it will help or not.☺

I did some research on clown plecos and they look similar to the second pic indeed, but so do a few other Ls 😅

Identifying plecos can be such a hard task to do, since so many of them are similar to each other...

Still, despite liking all the plecos I have, I was hoping to breed them, but unfortunately that might not prove possible if I have different species...

On 7/27/2020 at 7:57 AM, gcalberto said:

I did some research on clown plecos and they look similar to the second pic indeed, but so do a few other Ls 😅

Identifying plecos can be such a hard task to do, since so many of them are similar to each other...

Still, despite liking all the plecos I have, I was hoping to breed them, but unfortunately that might not prove possible if I have different species...

That is a true statement!! 😆

Yes it can. I did not realize there were so many different kind until I go on the site and started looking. Mind blown. 🤯 I feel like I should go ahead and get used to it tho..lol

Well best of luck on finding out what these guys are!! Hopefully you will solve the mystery!☺️

On 7/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, Logan Kendrick said:

Last photo could be an L075 Para Pleco and the first photo looks like it could be L260 Queen Arabesque Pleco. Not sure about the other two, the second photo looks like the only L333 to me but Im not sure.

The l075 has a much yellower body with smaller, darker spots and a higher dorsal fin compared to the "mistery" pleco.

As for the plecos I have, i'm reasonably sure none are l260, since those have more fine, but very defined stripes

20 hours ago, Tiffany said:

That is a true statement!! 😆

Yes it can. I did not realize there were so many different kind until I go on the site and started looking. Mind blown. 🤯 I feel like I should go ahead and get used to it tho..lol

Well best of luck on finding out what these guys are!! Hopefully you will solve the mystery!☺️

Thanks!

And yes, the amount of plecos in the hobby is crazy! No wonder it's so hard to identify mine