Favorite 3 fish foods

Theplatymaster

a few livestreams ago Cory was talking about how he thinks its best for every hobbyist to only have 3-4 foods.

So my question is, what are your favorite 3-4  foods to feed?

If i could only feed 3foods, id feed. (these are just based on what ive fed in the past, there are TONS of foods ive never tried).

Xtreme Crave Flake; its very customizable (i forget the word) and is very good for my application feeding lots of omnivorous platies, all my fish go crazy for this food.

Xtreme Bottom Wafers; i like how it has vegetable as a main ingredient, but also has good protein sources, so i can feed it to my fish, and my mystery snails,my fish love this food as well.

Hikari Crab Cuisine; My fish go absolute bannanas for this food, even though its not intended for them. Also just to get some calcium to my mystery snails.

So what are your top 3 foods?

Edited by Theplatymaster

I would choose:

1. Hikari Vibra Bites: I use these to target my bottom dwellers, but all of my fish really seem to love them.
  2. Topfin Tropical Flakes: I noticed that these didn't cloud my water nearly as much if I accidentally sprinkled in too much compared to other flakes.
  3. Hikari Micro Pellets: These would be for my Betta tank, since it has 5 Neon Tetras and a Betta.  The Neons can't eat the big boy pellets, so I'd have to use these to keep them fed and happy.
  • Like 1

1. Xtreme community crave (floats as large flakes, sinks in crushed bits, can feed all sizes of mouths, has some protein and some vegatables) 

2. Xtreme nano pellets (can feed all sizes of mouths, good for mid feeders and bottom feeders) 

3. Hikari/aco Freeze dried brine shrimp (a nice easy to store and easy to feed treat) 

4. xtreme nice 1.5mm semi floating (it's nice to have a larger food for goldfish and angelfish. I prefer foods that will eventually sink, so scavengers can clean up the leftovers) 

I personally think only 3 food is pretty limiting and may work if you have a species only tank. If I keep corydoras only, good quality 3 bottom feeder food + frozen food sounds good. However considering I always keep community tanks, and my fish and snails have varying needs, 3 is not ideally enough in my opinion. I have like 10 foods I'm feeding my tanks in total, but every fish get their own sort of 3-4 food combination besides the food fall down to substrate, if any.

My top 3 would be:

1- Sera O nip tab. Not the best ingredients but fish go crazy for it, even otos. Def everyones fav in all tanks. A good treat once a week.

2- NLS Thera A+. My personal fav community tank food as a pellet. From top to bottom level, everyone enjoys it, and it has good ingredients.

3- My own snello recipe lol

I am indifferent about anything else really. I just like having options. I don't wanna eat the same food myself everyday 😄 

Edited by Lennie
  • Love 2

Love my EBO foods really good quality my 3 favourites are  EBO spirulina tabs has 30% spirulina EBO veg sticks made of 50% pumpkin 50% peas and EBO youngsters grow paste is great  for getting my bristlenose plecos into breeding condition and  increasing the growth of my pleco fry with a higher protein content I have also just started using sak spirulina pellets they are really good quality food for herbivores such my bristlenose plecos 

Edited by Colu

i like to use 

Xtreme Aquatic Fish Food - Krill Flakes

2- NLS Thera A+ 

3 Hikari algae wafers

4 microworms mainly the summer and fall. my fish seemed to be ready to breed more often with them. 

On 3/21/2023 at 6:30 PM, Lennie said:

2- NLS Thera A+. My personal fav community tank food as a pellet. From top to bottom level, everyone enjoys it, and it has good ingredients.

i have the NLS but i forgot about it for a month. That's what my fish are getting tonight! 

On 3/22/2023 at 1:39 AM, Cmike15 said:

i have the NLS but i forgot about it for a month. That's what my fish are getting tonight! 

It is the morning food of everyone in my tanks 😄

Their evening meal changes everyday based on the tank and fish/snails/shrimp in it

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 6:42 PM, Lennie said:

It is the morning food of everyone in my tanks 😄

Their evening meal changes everyday based on the tank and fish/snails/shrimp in it

i used to have a feeding schedule, it has fallen apart due to me running out of foods.

I will buy new ones, and then start ONLY using the 3 foods on my list, so i can uphold a feeding rotation, and foods wont go bad.

with this exception of the occasional live BBS.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/22/2023 at 1:44 AM, Theplatymaster said:

i used to have a feeding schedule, it has fallen apart due to me running out of foods.

I will buy new ones, and then start ONLY using the 3 foods on my list, so i can uphold a feeding rotation, and foods wont go bad.

with this exception of the occasional live BBS.

Tbh, I even give my snails only 5-6 foods and snello+veggies and they snack on catappa leaf everyday. They eat all bottom feeder tabs of corys/pleco/red lizards, spirulina tab, NLS Algaemax, Hikari Algae wafer and crab cuisine as well as my complete shrimp food that includes lots of herbs and veggies and some calcium. 

I just get my food portions the smallest size to keep them fresh.  

On 3/22/2023 at 1:09 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Xtreme Bottom Wafers; i like how it has vegetable as a main ingredient, but also has good protein sources, so i can feed it to my fish, and my mystery snails,my fish love this food as well.

Pea protein is the first ingredient, followed by fish meal second. This is not really a veggie food, this is a protein food tbf. As a vegan, I use pea protein a lot. It is most commonly used product as a dust in vegan protein shakes for muscle building, as well as in foods as a meat substitude. Hikari crab cuisine has some calcium but it is protein rich food again. Snails don't need this many proteins but mainly a snello/veggies. I think 3 food is limiting all alone for snails but that is again my personal opinion.

• Like 1

1  NLS - Probiotix, Super Red and Algaemax (best ingredients)

2  Fluval Bug Bites flakes - super color and spirulina (fish love it too and it adds bugs to their food)

3  Sera O nip tabs - I use the regular and spirulina kind (somewhat good ingredients but this lets me see the fish up close and observe them)

These are my top three but I also have Omega One pellets and flakes, Hikari (vibra bites, crab cuisine and frozen), Repashy (community, soilent green, super gold and spawn & grow), North Fin (Krill pro, community, kelp), Zoo Med spirulina flakes. 

Haven't tried Xtreme but I see a lot of people on this forum swear by it.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2023 at 2:05 AM, knee said:

1  NLS - Probiotix, Super Red and Algaemax (best ingredients)

2  Fluval Bug Bites flakes - super color and spirulina (fish love it too and it adds bugs to their food)

3  Sera O nip tabs - I use the regular and spirulina kind (somewhat good ingredients but this lets me see the fish up close and observe them)

These are my top three but I also have Omega One pellets and flakes, Hikari (vibra bites, crab cuisine and frozen), Repashy (community, soilent green, super gold and spawn & grow), North Fin (Krill pro, community, kelp), Zoo Med spirulina flakes. 

Haven't tried Xtreme but I see a lot of people on this forum swear by it.

We have a similar liking I see! 🙂

• Love 1

On 3/21/2023 at 7:05 PM, Lennie said:

Pea protein is the first ingredient, followed by fish meal second. This is not really a veggie food, this is a protein food tbf. As a vegan, I use pea protein a lot. It is most commonly used product as a dust in vegan protein shakes for muscle building, as well as in foods as a meat substitude. Hikari crab cuisine has some calcium but it is protein rich food again. Snails don't need this many proteins but mainly a snello/veggies. I think 3 food is limiting all alone for snails but that is again my personal opinion.

my snails get zucchini weekly at this point.

On 3/22/2023 at 2:15 AM, Theplatymaster said:

my snails get zucchini weekly at this point.

Don't get this as a negative thing but I would encourage feeding more veggie content more often. And zucchini is not that rich in nutritions. 

I give snello to my snails once every two days which includes calcium, protein, and pumpkin, collard greens, a lil bit spinach cause oxalytes block calcium intake, carrot, and green beans with algae mixed in. Every other day, they get a blanched veggie if they are not receiving snello that day. Mine don't like broccoli and stuff so I eliminated them from my recipe otherwise they don't eat their snello.

I personally find it the best to freeze some of the veggies when we happen to buy any to home, and feed them just by grabbing a leaf or a cube of pumpkin etc from the freezer. It makes everything super easy, highly recommended.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 7:27 PM, Lennie said:

Don't get this as a negative thing but I would encourage feeding more veggie content more often. And zucchini is not that rich in nutritions. 

I give snello to my snails once every two days which includes calcium, protein, and pumpkin, collard greens, a lil bit spinach cause oxalytes block calcium intake, carrot, and green beans with algae mixed in. Every other day, they get a blanched veggie if they are not receiving snello that day. Mine don't like broccoli and stuff so I eliminated them from my recipe otherwise they don't eat their snello.

I personally find it the best to freeze some of the veggies when we happen to buy any to home, and feed them just by grabbing a leaf or a cube of pumpkin etc from the freezer. It makes everything super easy, highly recommended.

well...

ill do me, you can do you.

On 3/22/2023 at 2:28 AM, Theplatymaster said:

well...

ill do me, you can do you.

Well, that was my last try to help you kindly to be honest. I had to see this coming from your previous messages whenever I tried to help you before.

Anyway, goodluck dude

On 3/21/2023 at 7:31 PM, Lennie said:

Well, that was my last try to help you kindly to be honest. I had to see this coming from your previous messages whenever I tried to help you before.

Anyway, goodluck dude

im not saying you are wrong, im just saying i disagree.

and am i a little stubborn, yes.

Do you probably know more then me in this field, yes.

Can we all make daily snellos and constantly feed veggies, no.

In my opinion, im doing the BEST with what i have, and its not perfect, but due to my budget, its pretty good.

Edited by Theplatymaster

1.BBS/mosquito larvae/ live food

2. Xtreme krill flakes

3. Algae wafers

4a. Hikari Sinking shrimp wafers 

I have one more. The shrimp wafers are for my L-333 Breeding. I do feed these to the clown loaches as well but they get tons of snails. The tank they are in has so many snail shells the substrate is begoto look like a snail grave yard. 
4b. Beef heart I feed this to all my breeding fish. I stumbled on to this when I had a pair of discus in one have of a 75 and a pair of angels on the other. I use egg crate to divide the tanks. But the angels egg numbers were noticeably larger after the discus came and the would eat the beef heart that floated to there side. I have used it for years. 

• Like 1

Worms, bbs, kens food. 

just 3 commercial foods it would be kens granules, extreme nano and wafers. 

Very hard to say just 3. Each of my tanks eat different sizes at different Levels. None of my fish really like any flake food and quite a few won’t even eat flake. Also some of mine don’t eat commercial food at all only live food. They don’t even eat frozen. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Guppysnail said:

Very hard to say just 3. Each of my tanks eat different sizes at different Levels. None of my fish really like any flake food and quite a few won’t even eat flake. Also some of mine don’t eat commercial food at all only live food. They don’t even eat frozen. 

i apologize then.

you are not really the target audience of this question, having many tanks of many different species.

• Thanks 1

1 repashey community plus, I love watching my shrimp and pleco eat it. Is it the best repashey for me idk. It sinks before the chilis and tetra even know it’s in the tank tho…

2 extreme community crave, I’ll probably switch to straight krill next time. Seems like everyone goes for the krill flake and ignore the spirulina flake.

3 bug bites because everyone including the betta eats them. They’re not the easiest food to crush up small for the chilis but we manage. 

I think that rant was a little confusing. He quickly named 7 plus foods he uses weekly. I don’t have enough fish to even use one container of flake food in a month or two. I get the point of try not to have more food than you need and I’m trying to look at ingredients to see if I’m going to end up over lap g severely.  But like, Betta are supposed to have beta food several times a week. Bottom feeders are supposed to get supplemented. Not every fish eats pellets or flakes daily. Shrimp/snails etc need additional suppliment now and then as well.