Water Sprite- Growing Roots

brycekrispie

You can leave it float, it seems to do better floating for me personally.  Or you can clip the main stem below the roots and plant it.  

Unrelated: Make sure your anubias in the bottom of the picture doesn't have its rhizome buried in the substrate.  That usually causes issues!  I made that mistake with anubias and java ferns when I first got plants and it was rough on them.  

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:04 AM, jwcarlson said:

You can leave it float, it seems to do better floating for me personally.  Or you can clip the main stem below the roots and plant it.  

Unrelated: Make sure your anubias in the bottom of the picture doesn't have its rhizome buried in the substrate.  That usually causes issues!  I made that mistake with anubias and java ferns when I first got plants and it was rough on them.  

Ok sounds good, I think I will just float them! Water sprites are so delicate its hard to move them and bury them without cracking a stem or two.

And the Anubis is glued on top of a rock, thank you for checking though! 

On 3/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, cavdad45 said:

All the above. Personally, i use water sprite as a floater for fry cover and let the roots eventually find their way to the substrate.

Awesome, thank you! 

• Like 2

I actually tried growing Water Sprite in the substrate when I was starting my Betta tank, and it just melted and died on me.  I figured "what a waste!" and didn't bother getting a new one.  But when I had algae issues in my 20 gallon, several others here recommended using it as a floating plant and I decided to give it another shot.  Best decision!  I've noticed root growth, the plant isn't dying at all, and between that and the Dwarf Aquarium Lily leaves, I've got some good coverage and haven't had nearly as much algae show up!  I also see whenever my Corys swim up for air, they love playing or relaxing in it.