Sponge Filter questions

Doberman Mom

New here! 😀

I'd like switch to from over-the-back filtration to sponge filters.  

I"m a bit confused, as to how many I'll need in my tank .. They seem so small to do the trick! 
I have a long 45 gallon, that will house 6 angel fish once it's done cycling.  

Also looking for suggestions for an air pump. I've had bad luck with them in the past, as they always ended up dying. 

Any feedback/info is greatly appreciated! 

-----
Pic of one of my axolotls, just because 🙂
*Not the tank I'm switching out 🙂 

Screenshot 2022-09-18 101250.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 3/20/2023 at 12:24 PM, MattyM said:

What don't you like about your HOB? 

Its noisy ... and for some reason, I feel like the sponges are a lot easier? 

Andy, And since you have angelfish, what do you find works best?  

Edited by Doberman Mom

On 3/20/2023 at 1:01 PM, Doberman Mom said:

Its noisy ... and for some reason, I feel like the sponges are a lot easier? 

I like using both, a HOB and a sponge. I use ACs for my HOBs, and they are practically silent (may need to run for a few weeks and/or some lube on the impeller), while anything except the Coop green nano air pump is typically too loud for me (my tanks are in my office). A HOB with things like filter floss, purigen, etc will get your water really clear. Also if you have to medicate your tank, you can toss some charcoal in there to help remove the meds. I run put a sponge on the intake tube for extra filtering. 

The sponge filter is like insurance for me - always running, can easily be powered by a basic USB power bank if the power goes out, and plenty of space for beneficial bacteria to grow. 

As for cleaning, I prefer the HOB actually b/c I don't have to reach all the way in the tank to get it. 

• Like 2

i have in my 55 gallon a canister filter had to go with the canister because of the location of the tank a hang back was not possible   but i have a sponge filters too … matter fact  I have 2 sponges one to help the canister filter. and one for backup if need set up a emergency tank with a  45 i would use 2  sponges  the a large ACO sponge i have in my tank is wonderful love it and it helps my canister filter allot and i like the coarse of the sponge 

I like the ease of sponge filters and that they cannot crack/overflow and make my floors wet like my Aquaclears have done on two occasions. But I love how clean the Aquaclears/any HOB can get the water when filter floss or pads are used--its just extra sharp and sparkly, and when I rearrange plants and make the water all mucky they actually remove muck, unlike the sponge. 

My compromise is that I run one sponge filter (and one airstone on the opposite side) in my tanks and hang a HOB on for a couple of days when I am at home to supervise it when I want to polish the water or remove haze after a big redo that stirs up mulm.

My tanks are small so only need one sponge, in a larger tank I would run one on each side and skip the additional airstone.

• Like 1

I run sponges and a under sized hob. On my 120 I have 2 sponges and a cheap tetra hob with a sponge and polishing cloth in it. Just to keep the water really clear. If I had to choose I’m not sure which one I would go with. I will say that in an Hob I use my own filter medium and never those cartridges that come with most. 

On 3/22/2023 at 8:54 PM, Pepere said:

Also, a large Lee’s triple flow filter weighted down with gravel in the base and filled with polyfill floss and using an airstone  can flow 100 gallons per hour and provide decent mechanical filtration

Oooh, I did not know that box filters still existed! This is what my goldfish had when I was growing up. I like that it will use floss and therefore polish the water and actually remove crud, AND that it can't leak on the floor. Feels super retro but I might buy one for my 20 tall!

UPDATE! 

I ended up purchasing a LARGE sponge filter, and my lordy!!!!
My 45-gallon that's been cycling for a few weeks, was crystal clear within a few hours! 
I can't even believe it! 🥰

I kept the HOB, but I've been able to turn down the flow. It doesn't sound like a leaky toilet in my place now! (my biggest issue with the HOB is the water tinkle tinkle sound ..lol!)

I like the idea of having 2 kinds of filters in a larger tank. 
If the hydro ever goes out, that AquaClear thing doesn't gear back up automatically but now I have the sponge as backup. 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2023 at 6:29 AM, Doberman Mom said:

(my biggest issue with the HOB is the water tinkle tinkle sound ..lol!)

This was one of my biggest annoyances when I first started using HOBs too. One way to get around this is to fill your tank all the way past the outlet of the HOB, so the water doesn't have to fall down the outlet into your tank, it just shoots across the surface of your water. 

• Like 2