Anyone have experience with large UV (25+ watt) units ?

anewbie

I would like to add a large uv to my aquarium capable of killing parasite - my reading is i need at least 25 watts. In the perfect world i would get something like a heater that i could insert into the sump but i can't find anything similar to that; i've seen some 25 and 40 watt units from various companies but no clue which one is reliable (I think there are complaints that the emperor housing has a flaw that causes the housing to melt and leak everywhere - so i'm skipping that one) but there are others. Any first hand experience using these? My intention is to run one on my 'main' aquarium for 6 months and then as 'needed' and the other on the qt aquarium (150 gallons) whenever i add new fishes.

Back when I bred discus, I had the 36 watt Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizer on my 135 gallon aquarium that housed the majority that were not split off into breeding pairs. When it worked, it worked great! The water was crystal clear & I didn't have any parasite issues after their initial medicated quarantine, even with newly imported fish. The parasite free portion of the last comment COULD be a placebo effect, since I medicated & quarantined everyone before they were introduced to the rest of the fish.

However, they're prone to internal leaks that get the bulb wet & short them out. When my second one in 3 years shorted out, I stopped using them. It's now been over 5 years & I have not found an alternative that I'm happy enough with to buy.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

I use 55 watt UV sterilizers on My 800 gallon and Elmer's tanks. I also just installed these on our warehouse sumps as well. Them seem reliable enough, priced well I feel and you can find the replacement bulbs easily enough. https://www.amazon.com/Jebao-STU-Stainless-Steel-Clarifier/dp/B0115MS7RY/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2LM2SLGNWS2N8&keywords=pond+uv+sterilizer&qid=1679343256&sprefix=pond+uv+sterilize%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-24&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840