Baby Brine Shrimp Dilema.

Theplatymaster

I have a small dilema here.

when i feed BBS i dont strain it, i have no good way how. (though i could simply use some coffee paper, but i dont have any).

And according to the internet, a grain of salt, will kill mystery snails.

So should i be concerned here?

Itll be a 1/4gallon salt water to 20gallons freshwater ratio, it should just be diluted right?

or do i have a issue here?

@Guppysnailyou feed BBS, does this affect your Mystery Snails? or do you strain yours?

Edited by Theplatymaster

I don't strain it (agree, too much hassle and i am not feeding fry), I dilute it. Will take a smidge with a pipete and put it in a larger container of water. I guess this reduces the risk?

I have had a mystery snail for a little while now so not sure. 

Hopefully someone comments, i am curious too

On 3/19/2023 at 8:19 AM, Pepere said:

thanks,

im not trying to be rude here, but my aquarium budget is like 0 right now, so i want to find out if i can keep hatching BBS.

On 3/19/2023 at 8:08 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Guppysnailyou feed BBS, does this affect your Mystery Snails? or do you strain yours?

I strain and rinse. If you put them in a dish they settle to the bottom and you can remove some of the salt water to dilute. Or  use a turkey baster to suck the bulk off the bottom after they settle and dilute. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 8:50 AM, Guppysnail said:

I strain and rinse. If you put them in a dish they settle to the bottom and you can remove some of the salt water to dilute. Or  use a turkey baster to suck the bulk off the bottom after they settle and dilute. 

would there then be a suffocation risk?

and wont it be diluted with the tank water?

On 3/19/2023 at 9:00 AM, Theplatymaster said:

would there then be a suffocation risk?

and wont it be diluted with the tank water?

It only takes a few minutes for them to settle to the bottom. I use a wide dish so it’s not deep. 
Yes it would dilute in Tank water but I choose to not risk putting that much salt in the tank. No one has scientifically studied what concentration of salt begins to irritate snails or out right harm them. 

Edited by Guppysnail

On 3/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, Guppysnail said:

No one has scientifically studied what concentration of salt begins to irritate snails or out right harm them. 

that would be useful to know.

i know that mini ramshorn snails dont care.

I have given my 5gallon/mini ramshorn snail colony, a overdose of BBS, like a lot of saltwater in the tank, and they DID NOT CARE at all.