Mystery Snail Breeding Question.

Theplatymaster

I am trying to figure out the sex of my new mystery snail, ever since i saw it get mounted by my male.

I know they mount during breeding, but  males can mount males, so im just going to see if i get eggs.

How soon after breeding do they lay eggs?

Its been around 27hours for me (as of posting this comment), is this too late (and i have two males), or does it take some time?

They can store the milt for months.

They are more likely to lay if your water level is at least an inch below the top of the tank, though they will sometimes lay on the underside of the lid if that's the only place available.

They are also more likely to lay at night, though that's not guaranteed. 

It can be that night or it can be several week. It depends. 

There's a few suggested ways to sex them but there is a only one that's really reliable but it's also difficult. I've been doing it for awhile and I still 2nd guess myself. 

Here's a video that explains it. 

98176294_2987431347976775_9177228544609091584_n.jpg

On 3/18/2023 at 10:45 PM, Cinnebuns said:

It can be that night or it can be several week. It depends. 

There's a few suggested ways to sex them but there is a only one that's really reliable but it's also difficult. I've been doing it for awhile and I still 2nd guess myself. 

Here's a video that explains it. 

98176294_2987431347976775_9177228544609091584_n.jpg

this is what ive been using, i havent seen the sheath in the bottom one, so i think Smaug is female.

On 3/18/2023 at 10:02 PM, Guppysnail said:

Females can hold sperm for up to 10 months. That said she will lay once she has enough resources stored to produce the eggs and such and lay them. In other words in her own sweet time no set time frame. 

Maybe a day, a week, a month 

Ok, i was just going to use a "do i see eggs" as a sign to have a female, but considering she is new, and probably wasnt the best fed at the store, this could be a while.

• Like 1