3 Molly Fry in the Filter Compartment

Stef

Hi Everyone.  I've discovered 3 little molly fry in the back filter compartment of my 9 gal Fluval Flex tank today.  I've been too slow, I guess, in rehoming the adults.  There's 7 left of 17 adults and now a few fry are in the filter compartment.  They are very teeny tiny and actively swimming. When I lift the hood, they come up and wiggle around.  Very cute.  I offered some fry food via a pipette and they seem to chase it.

Anyway, though I'm not intentionally breeding, I've got to get them out of the filter compartment.  I have two other tanks that could work for them and wanted your thoughts on which is the better place. But considering how small/young they are, should they be moved to another tank at all? Can such small/young fry handle acclimation?  If I net them out of the filter compartment and put them in the tank they're in with the adults/parents, they'll probably get eaten with 7 big always hungry adults in an already small set up.  The alternative is putting them in my 20 gal display tank that only has a half blind betta and lots of panda corys.  I figure one half blind betta may not see the fry and there's tons of plants and hiding spots. But the betta is a meany. Either way is a gamble.

A third option would be to set up my 2 gallon hospital tank with a spare seasoned sponge filter, but haven't done this with fry, and again, not sure if they can handle acclimating to a whole new set up.  

Votes? 

Option A - Put them back with adult Mollies (block the filter intakes so they don't find their way back into the filter), and let nature run its course,
Option B - Transfer them to the 20 gallon and run the risk of an angry, but half blind betta, or
Option C - Transfer them to a 2 gallon hospital tank with seasoned sponge and heater and let them grow a bit

Appreciate your thoughts.

you might have done something by now, it depends if you want the chance of raising up more fry or you want to just move on for now.

Betta's are known for being temperamental to the point that a friendly one is exclaimed upon if ever found so i'd only try that route if you will be around to watch. Maybe if the betta tank is very well planted with hiding spots all over. 

I personally would do Option C growing them out if they make it and adding them back to the main tank when a good size. Have fun and i'll look in for any updates. 

• Thanks 1

Just looking to raise them up to donate to lfs. I don’t know what color the parents are called but one of the fry seems to have a black speck/patch over one eye like a dog, so my heart went out to save him/her. 

These are the adults that came from gold dust lyretails. 

3DE3EBFF-9132-4D19-869D-C75FCE39FC0C.jpeg

14765E79-1255-4F2A-89D2-D7224E284800.jpeg

Got them out but they’re in the tank with their parents and other adults. When I put the net in the compartment, two exited through the intake slots. So, I just netted the other two out, blocked the intake slots and see how it goes.  They’ve been in with their parents all day, so hopefully they’ll be ok. Cute little guys. 

067FA54A-F688-483F-993E-BF7ABAC930C7.jpeg