Mystery Snail Breeding?

Theplatymaster

batmobilesayshi.jpg.56d190450806bd60cd14a557a5e514a4.jpg

the one on top is male, ive had him for 2weeks now.

the bottom one is unsexed, i just got it.

however

I think this is more then a hello hug.

Male is on top, they are touching right side to right side (where the sex organs are).

it got Smaug (bottom red one)  out of her shell quickly,

Male is still sitting on top in the same position, neither one is moving much.

i think this is breeding...

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea

@Guppysnail@Cinnebuns

On 3/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yes that's mating. They can be like that for minutes up to several hours. I've had my females move around the tank with male attached too. 

i tried moving them, they stayed attached.

im very surprised. (but in a good way).

Smaug (the female) was in that tank for like 3min after temperature acclimating when they started breeding, and Batmobile (the male) has only been in this tank for 2weeks!

thats why i was so skeptical, ive barely had these snails, and breeding already?!

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2023 at 6:23 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yeah sounds like your boy was just ready to go!

hopefully they fed them well enough at the store for good egg production from the female...

I didnt think id have breeding for a few weeks, so i didnt make any snail let rehoming plans yet...

@Miskawant any?

itll be fun for me to check out the colors on the snailets though, im rather fascinated in genetics at the moment..

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea, how should i proceed once the eggs are layed?

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/17/2023 at 6:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Well thing is you don't have to let the eggs hatch if you're not ready. I pulled many clutches when I had my snails because I didn't have the room for the bioload. They hatch hundreds. So you might want to pull clutches until you're ready. 

you have a good point.

now im hoping the female wasnt fed that well in the store for smaller batches of eggs.

ill have to see once the eggs are layed what i want to do.

this is all overwhelming for me right now.

its like when i first had platies and one gave birth 3 days later, total surprise, at least i have some warning now.

i know they can have huge broods, ill consider my options once i see the eggs, Smaug (the female) is rather young compared to Batmobile, so ill see how it goes.

very exciting though!

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

Well and look at it this way, clutches when caught early are just fertilized eggs, so similar to chicken eggs get them out of the hatching environment and you're not killing anything. Would be worse if you're not ready and baby snails die IMO. I also prefer this act to culling. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

To hatch prepare to float a small Tupperware in the tank. [After 24 hrs of being laid] Remove clutch from glass (gently turn and pull) and put on a dry papertowel on top of a damp (tank water) paper towel in the Tupperware. Poke holes in lid of Tupperware with a pushpin or a pen. Place lid tightly on Tupperware.

To NOT hatch, freeze clutch in ziplock (to prevent development). Crush once frozen. Dispose.

Females can hold sperm for up to 10 months. That said she will lay once she has enough resources stored to produce the eggs and such and lay them. In other words in her own sweet time no set time frame. 

Maybe a day, a week, a month 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1