Rainbows always swimming on outake of powerhead, do they like flow?

HenryC

My rainbows spend all day on the outake of the pwoerhead I use. They seem to enjoy going against the flow for hours, only coming out of it when it's feeding time.

Should I be worried? Do rainbows like big flow at all or is there something going on that I should address? I'm afraid they will exhaust their little bodies and die, furiously swimming aginst the flow all day.

• Like 1

Many of my fish enjoy enjoy swimming against the powerhead currents but it is only 5-15 minutes or so sporadically throughout the day. I have never had them continuously do this. 
My first suspicion would be available oxygen in the tank whether I needed another airstone, possible excess nitrogen, medication in the water or something like gill flukes or any other associated oxygen depleting factors. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2023 at 3:00 AM, HenryC said:

Should I be worried? Do rainbows like big flow at all or is there something going on that I should address?

this is correct.

due to their native environments (rivers) that they come from, many rainbowfish enjoy flow in their tanks.

this is perfectly normal activity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yea I am a total noob to rainbows, but I have been doing a lot of research on them for my upcoming 55 gallon build as it will be a rainbow featured tank. They love high flow rates, males especially will flash and swim through it in the mornings. I am with @Guppysnail in that its odd they do it nonstop, so I'd def keep an eye on the parameters just to be safe. 

Also, is it me or does your filter's flow rate on the right side seem low setting? Maybe crank the air pump up a little to get more smooth continuous flow there instead of the glug bubbles that slower settings promote. I watched a great VOD on that by @Cory a couple weeks ago. 🙂 

Also out of curiosity, what types of rainbows are they?

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 6:48 AM, Shadow said:

Yea I am a total noob to rainbows, but I have been doing a lot of research on them for my upcoming 55 gallon build as it will be a rainbow featured tank. They love high flow rates, males especially will flash and swim through it in the mornings. I am with @Guppysnail in that its odd they do it nonstop, so I'd def keep an eye on the parameters just to be safe. 

Also, is it me or does your filter's flow rate on the right side seem low setting? Maybe crank the air pump up a little to get more smooth continuous flow there instead of the glug bubbles that slower settings promote. I watched a great VOD on that by @Cory a couple weeks ago. 🙂 

Also out of curiosity, what types of rainbows are they?

Yeah that air pump is giving its last bubbles lol, gotta replace it and put an airstone. Haven't done it yet cause the internal powerhead has a venturi system that oxygenates the water (hard to see but it's spewing fine bubbles). They're neon dwarfs and boesemani, all juvenile I just got them.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Administrators

Some fish definitely perfer flow. Careful though as a dog who likes to swim in a swimming pool can only do it a few hours per day. Make sure there are plenty of slow spots in the tank for the fish to rest.

On 3/15/2023 at 1:39 PM, Cory said:

Some fish definitely perfer flow. Careful though as a dog who likes to swim in a swimming pool can only do it a few hours per day. Make sure there are plenty of slow spots in the tank for the fish to rest.

Thanks Cory! Yeah there's plenty of slow spots but they love to be in there, but I've noticed the bosemani are the ones that are there the most now.

• Love 1

On 3/15/2023 at 9:39 AM, Theplatymaster said:

this is correct.

due to their native environments (rivers) that they come from, many rainbowfish enjoy flow in their tanks.

this is perfectly normal activity.

"Many rainbowfish enjoy flow in their tanks."
Which type enjoy good flow so I can get the 
right 1's cause I have 2-100 gph hob's on my 
75 gal & puts out some good flow.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:39 PM, Cory said:

Hello Cory, I watch a lot of your videos & really appreciate your info 
on the videos you put up, I'd like to ask you a question about Danio's
I have Leopard & Zebra together in a 30 gal aquarium, are they known 
to get along or not good to be in the same tank?

On 3/16/2023 at 4:21 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

I have Leopard & Zebra together in a 30 gal aquarium, are they known 
to get along or not good to be in the same tank?

i can answer this question.

you should be fine, as they are rather similar species, and are both peaceful.

there may be crossbreeding issues, but i dont think that is your concern.

i recommend you post this question on general discussion for better answers though.

• Confused 1

On 3/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i can answer this question.

you should be fine, as they are rather similar species, and are both peaceful.

there may be crossbreeding issues, but i dont think that is your concern.

i recommend you post this question on general discussion for better answers though.

This is why I asked the question here, cause believe it or not 
out of 15 of each breed since I've had them they have dwindled
down to damn near none on both sides, from a 75 gal to a 30 gal 
to barely a hand full of each, so that's a learning lesson for others.

On 3/16/2023 at 7:55 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

This is why I asked the question here, cause believe it or not 
out of 15 of each breed since I've had them they have dwindled
down to damn near none on both sides, from a 75 gal to a 30 gal 
to barely a hand full of each, so that's a learning lesson for others.

there are many other things that could be happening, other then compatibility.

as i said, please post this as a separate thread in the "general discussion" section of the forum for better answers then i can give you.

• Thanks 1