Rams and Apistos together?

Lennie

On 3/14/2023 at 11:46 AM, Lennie said:

Cool!

yea I keep my tank around 80-82F. 

I actually have a 50x50 cube that is quite planted as well. That one has a stocking of red lizard whiptails, otos, pygmy cories, neocaridinas and mystery snails. It is a super chill tank without any centerpiece fish really.

Isk to what extend apistos would fit in that peaceful environment, and if they would bother anything there?

Also, apistos are never being sold alone here. So always either a 1m:1f, and sometimes 1m:2f.

so for 50cube and considering stockings, would apistos be a fit there as a 1m:1f? Or 1m:2f? Especially borelliis or fire reds? Or any other recommendations if these are too agressive? 
more importantly do they go after shrimp and snails?

This is the 50cube tank. I keep this one 25C:

052D18FA-8CD3-4DCD-ACED-1866C1A02D2C.jpeg.8eba4f5a7597008ef004d49e3f100a0a.jpeg

if that were 50inchx50inch it would be a good size; but 50cmx50cm really isn't that large and 50mmx50mm; well forget keeping a pair 😉

On 3/15/2023 at 3:08 AM, anewbie said:

Not really; you can find some species in mergus cichild atlas vol 1, 2 and toms website (tomc.no) but none of these resources really provide a whole lot of information. They mostly cover where they are caught and sometimes water conditions in those area. Occasionally tom makes a comment on aggression he observed but nothing very exhausted. You rarely find information (other than the common domestic ones like macs, hongsloi, borelli, agazii, cockatoo, ...) if they are pair forming or harem breeders (most are harem breeders). To make matters worse some of the less common species have changed names over the years making it more difficult to find user experience with them and on top of that a few of the species have multiple names...

Too bad there is not much info available even when  they are this common in the hobby. Sad

On 3/15/2023 at 3:13 AM, anewbie said:

if that were 50inchx50inch it would be a good size; but 50cmx50cm really isn't that large and 50mmx50mm; well forget keeping a pair 😉

😄

Edited by Lennie

On 3/14/2023 at 12:37 PM, Lennie said:

cichlid behavior worrys me with shrimp and maybe snails. So that might be a pass too

To add to my Apisto vs Ram story earlier. WHen the tank was just rams I had planty of shrimp. Whwn the rams died and it was just 2 Apistos, the shrimp disappeared. Not completely but it went from seeing them out and about all the time to only seeing a few large adults and never seeing any juveniles at all. Once the Apistos died, a friend gifted me with about 40 or so blue dream shrimp and they lived with as many as 6 rams with no issue. they bred like crazy and grazed as they pleased with no problems.

I am sure that the rams ate some of the babies and I am also sure that there are individual rams that would feast on shrimp but in my experience, Rams don't predate on the shrimp too bad but the Apistos will wipe you clean.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 12:19 AM, NOLANANO said:

To add to my Apisto vs Ram story earlier. WHen the tank was just rams I had planty of shrimp. Whwn the rams died and it was just 2 Apistos, the shrimp disappeared. Not completely but it went from seeing them out and about all the time to only seeing a few large adults and never seeing any juveniles at all. Once the Apistos died, a friend gifted me with about 40 or so blue dream shrimp and they lived with as many as 6 rams with no issue. they bred like crazy and grazed as they pleased with no problems.

I am sure that the rams ate some of the babies and I am also sure that there are individual rams that would feast on shrimp but in my experience, Rams don't predate on the shrimp too bad but the Apistos will wipe you clean.

Yea, I can imagine.

Too bad I'd like to have apistos in the tank where I keep my shrimps at. I barely have any shrimps left in my ram tank, not because due to rams, but I personally don't believe shrimp really make it in a community tank how densely planted it is. My tank literally has lots of plants, 3 handsized mosses and caves. But nope. Juviniles can't make it there, I blame rummy noses the most. 

I guess you starting with a colony of 40 might've helped it a lot. Even if half of them are females, Imagine the amount of babies that 20 females  can have. Oof 😄 

So even not all juviniles can make it, some def will.

On 3/15/2023 at 4:19 PM, NOLANANO said:

again apistos is a genus not a species; there is a wide variance of behavior among various species. You should name the explicit species for your experience to be useful to others rather than the genus. It is like saying I have an aggressive dog; all species of dogs are aggressive while in truth some species of dogs are more aggressive than others.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:33 PM, anewbie said:

some species of dogs are more aggressive than others.

Chiuahuas! 😄😄

image.gif.72ec9687d6cd86ac11cc2664358dabb9.gif

On 3/16/2023 at 1:33 PM, anewbie said:

You should name the explicit species for your experience to be useful to others rather than the genus.

Do you have any on your mind that are considerably more peaceful from the common species?

On 3/16/2023 at 5:33 AM, anewbie said:

again apistos is a genus not a species; there is a wide variance of behavior among various species. You should name the explicit species for your experience to be useful to others rather than the genus. It is like saying I have an aggressive dog; all species of dogs are aggressive while in truth some species of dogs are more aggressive than others.

Well if you took the time to read my original comment that is referenced in this comment, you would see the species.

And people do use the broad term “dog” to refer to their pets, they don’t specify the breed every time they mention it.