Mystery snail started laying eggs during a water change. Now the water is too high. She is still popping out eggs?

KittenFishMom

@Guppysnail and @Cinnebuns and anyone else who keeps mystery snail:

During a 20 gallon water change in my 55 gallon tank, I didn't notice that a mystery snail had started to lay eggs. the back end of her foot is now just at the water line. I noticed little white beads drifting down the tank. but it took me a while to find the source. The water level is just right for the filters, and the nitrites had popped up and the water is is cloudy, so I don't think I should lower the water. The water really needs to circulate tonight.

Is there anything I can do for this mystery snails eggs or if this happens in the future? 

Our water changes take a long time to siphon the water out and dump the buckets of water outside (sand substrate) and bring in the cold RO/DI water from the laundry room and remineralize it and boil water to heat the water in the tote to tank temp. Then lift the water and pour it gently into the heavily planted tank.

Also, will the eggs cause any problems in the tank? There are corys, neon tetras, kuhli loaches and hillstream loaches and HOB filters. The betta got move to a different tank when he started chasing the hillstream loaches around like a cat after a string. I still don't understand why such a mellow betta got so excited over tiny hillstream loaches.

All ideas and thoughts are welcome.

On 3/14/2023 at 1:45 AM, KittenFishMom said:

Also, will the eggs cause any problems in the tank?

in no way here am i a mystery snail expert, however i believe that if they laid the eggs above water, they want to them hatch above water,so the eggs probably wont hatch in your tank. Is it an issue for your fish, well the eggs are good protein sources...

On 3/14/2023 at 1:45 AM, KittenFishMom said:

anyone else who keeps mystery snail:

i now fit the criteria:

2023-03-14-065858.jpg.a295d7f5ac9452d1830bafd1fbbc714b.jpg

• Like 1

They go into a sort of trance like state once they start laying and do not stop until finish. The eggs will not necessarily hurt anything but will start to decompose possibly causing issues. 
Keeping the water level the height best for the filters will send the ladies up higher so no worries of them laying low enough to then submerge the eggs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had something similar happen. A girl dropped in the middle of laying while I was away. I came back to her at the water line still laying. A little while later she dropped entirely in the tank. 

No it shouldn't harm anything. The eggs will likely get eaten. Sometimes this just happens. 

• Thanks 1