New 160 Liters (42.2g) Tank!

Lennie

On 3/19/2023 at 5:18 PM, Fish Folk said:

@Lennie I keep my SAEs in a hot Discus tank, from 83°-87° F. They’re huge! Maybe would prefer cooler temperatures, but message me privately if you want them.

Thank you. I don't live in USA. But Sae is back to the potential list then, when my LFS get them again 🙂

Edited by Lennie

On 3/19/2023 at 8:46 AM, Guppysnail said:

This I’m not certain as I have no experience with l199. My mom, dad and lefty would not care. They get along with everyone. Angel who is Lefty’s brother and spawn of mom n dad had an attitude problem. I watched him constantly chase and a a few occasions ran into the side of a guppy. He was the only one that had any aggression in him. He was dominant even in his grow out as a baby. He was moved early because he would not share food. 
So I guess an individual of any species can have a bad attitude. 
Maybe @Colu or @rockfisher have experience with l199 and can shed more light. 

On 3/19/2023 at 9:24 AM, Lennie said:

Yea, I've never kept this one with another pleco before so I really don't know how the reaction would be like versus something similar to itself.

Normally it is very peaceful, only hardly pushes corys away sometimes from its food.

Normally I would not to mix pleco species. However as far as plecos go the L-199 is pretty docile. I see you are not in the States so what I say next may not apply. BN’ s are pretty easy to return to LFS stores especially if you have a relationship with them. If you where here I who say just try it and if it doesn’t work out return or give the BN away. The L-199 is some what similar to the L-333 in where they are native to the Orinoco delta basin. Both are mostly carnivores. The L-199 is a slighter built. I say this because I keep a BN with those with no issues. If you are going to do it try to match body size of the 2 plecos and have lots of place to hide. If you use the large rocks in the scape you might want to place some caves under them so they look natural but don’t stick out in the scape. Try to provide at least one extra. I try to provide at least 2 per pleco to a certain point. Hope that helps. 

on a second note I have used the lava rock UGF. It’s a good substitute for the plates. I use UGF in some tanks and I love them. In others I run sponges and an undersized HOB just to polish the water. The sponges do the heavy lifting and the HOB can be smaller than normal needed. It allows me to have a a smaller less noisy HOB. 

One last thing, everyone has an opinion on snails and mine is mixed. However they can provide decent algae control. I have them in planted tanks. I would stay with the larger ones like mystery and nertile. 

Hope things go well. I’m going to follow to see how things go. Sound amazing. If you have any questions let me know. @Colu may have a different take. I respect his opinion an it should carry weight in any aquarium conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/19/2023 at 6:37 PM, rockfisher said:

Normally I would not to mix pleco species. However as far as plecos go the L-199 is pretty docile. I see you are not in the States so what I say next may not apply. BN’ s are pretty easy to return to LFS stores especially if you have a relationship with them. If you where here I who say just try it and if it doesn’t work out return or give the BN away. The L-199 is some what similar to the L-333 in where they are native to the Orinoco delta basin. Both are mostly carnivores. The L-199 is a slighter built. I say this because I keep a BN with those with no issues. If you are going to do it try to match body size of the 2 plecos and have lots of place to hide. If you use the large rocks in the scape you might want to place some caves under them so they look natural but don’t stick out in the scape. Try to provide at least one extra. I try to provide at least 2 per pleco to a certain point. Hope that helps. 

on a second note I have used the lava rock UGF. It’s a good substitute for the plates. I use UGF in some tanks and I love them. In others I run sponges and an undersized HOB just to polish the water. The sponges do the heavy lifting and the HOB can be smaller than normal needed. It allows me to have a a smaller less noisy HOB. 

One last thing, everyone has an opinion on snails and mine is mixed. However they can provide decent algae control. I have them in planted tanks. I would stay with the larger ones like mystery and nertile. 

Hope things go well. I’m going to follow to see how things go. Sound amazing. If you have any questions let me know. @Colu may have a different take. I respect his opinion an it should carry weight in any aquarium conversation. 

Thanks for your detailed response!

I personally don’t think my pleco would go agressive too really but you never know. As you mentioned it is pretty docile. 
It was tagged as a L199 but I am not even sure if it is. I will share a pic so maybe you can tell:

CBD927FC-1A2D-448E-95B7-477BD5F02604.jpeg.a17c1897649167406eca906a9362d5b4.jpeg

juvenile:

image.jpeg.73071f02bc8492c82e907bb066fe9684.jpeg

it was with me since it was a juvenile. It indeed likes carnivore pellets and frozen food more, compared to veggie content/spirulina/algae wafers.

I'm really leaning towards leopard frogs but idk.

my worry is plecos always hiding. At best it all being dependent on their character. 
If I had a chance I would love to have bigger whiptails this time, but they are hard to come by here :,) whiptails are always out! 

Edited by Lennie

On 3/19/2023 at 3:58 AM, Lennie said:

Update:

The custom made tank is here. I also got a new 100w heater, AC70 (found it locally, so didn't have to order from Amazon Germany and pay a lot more!), 90cm plant light and 2x 8Liters of Neo Aquasoil.

image.jpeg.948303ad4b7a4125618c53fcf892a98b.jpeg

The straphor under didn't make me feel comfy enough. We talked with @nabokovfan87 some, and I'm planning to get an aquarium mat instead. Sera (Sera Thermosafe mat) has one that perfectly fits 100x40cm, which is exactly my tank size. And Creaqua, which is a well known local aquarium brand here, has one that looks like rubber, 150x50cm. Planning to get the bigger one and cut it I guess.

https://www.sera.de/us/product/terrarium/sera-thermo-safe/

https://www.creaqua.com.tr/tr/akvaryumlar-ve-ekipmanlar/9-creaqua-aquamat.html

Any ideas?

Also I am looking for some algae eaters that would handle the 27C-28C (80-82F) that rams enjoy. I currently have rams, honey gourami, sterbai cories, rabbit snails, L199 and rummy nose tetras that will move to this tank from their 29g.

I've been considering SAE and panda garras. But seems like they like it a bit lower temps. Any suggestions are welcomed as tank mates, especially algae eaters. @DiscusLover @Fish Folk Any ideas guys?

I have 2 sae in my 55 they can tolerate up to 82 in some articles that I found and I keep my tank in 80-81 and they do great.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 8:58 PM, DiscusLover said:

I have 2 sae in my 55 they can tolerate up to 82 in some articles that I found and I keep my tank in 80-81 and they do great.

Do they fight with each other? I remember reading they can be territorial especially in number 2, so either single or at least 3 is better.

What's your experience?

On 3/19/2023 at 11:01 AM, Lennie said:

Do they fight with each other? I remember reading they can be territorial especially in number 2, so either single or at least 3 is better.

What's your experience?

I won't lie they do get aggressive sometimes but not a huge lot, they are still 4-5inches and I was thinking of returning 1 back so I can just keep one full grown sae.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 12:15 PM, Lennie said:

Thanks for your detailed response!

I personally don’t think my pleco would go agressive too really but you never know. As you mentioned it is pretty docile. 
It was tagged as a L199 but I am not even sure if it is. I will share a pic so maybe you can tell:

CBD927FC-1A2D-448E-95B7-477BD5F02604.jpeg.a17c1897649167406eca906a9362d5b4.jpeg

juvenile:

image.jpeg.73071f02bc8492c82e907bb066fe9684.jpeg

it was with me since it was a juvenile. It indeed likes carnivore pellets and frozen food more, compared to veggie content/spirulina/algae wafers.

I'm really leaning towards leopard frogs but idk.

my worry is plecos always hiding. At best it all being dependent on their character. 
If I had a chance I would love to have bigger whiptails this time, but they are hard to come by here :,) whiptails are always out! 

I’m leaning towards it being a L-199. The head shape is really where it’s at in determining an L-199. It’s hard to be 100% in photos but I’m going to say it is a l199. 
The one thing I try not to feed them is frozen worms. I can be sure but I have had issue with bloating and death when I feed frozen types of worms. I use some sinking carnivore food. They really like hikari shrimp wafers. I feed a lot of beef heart and krill flakes to the breeding angels in the tank. I never worry about them get the carnivore part of there diet. I do feed algae wafers as well. Not every day a few times a week. I found the adults go crazy for them. I think the smaller ones have no problem feed off the glass and rocks I use as caves to get the vegetable matter they need, the reason. There are several smaller plecos from that region that have similar requirements. The L-134 and L-333 are probably the most popular in the hobby right now. I think that is likely to change. The both can take some time and comment to breed. Nothing like the zebras. 

Edited by rockfisher
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:02 PM, DiscusLover said:

I won't lie they do get aggressive sometimes but not a huge lot, they are still 4-5inches and I was thinking of returning 1 back so I can just keep one full grown sae.

I better get only one as well then.

How was the algae eating situation for your experience. Good enough?

On 3/19/2023 at 11:11 AM, Lennie said:

I better get only one as well then.

How was the algae eating situation for your experience. Good enough?

They eat black beard algae, hair algae extremely well, they ate most it off my vals, and I have seen them eat a quite other few as well. Got some otos with them as well haha.

IMG_5365.jpg.8578ec5f4df6464ab998f6af3bb712ed.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/19/2023 at 9:18 PM, DiscusLover said:

They eat black beard algae, hair algae extremely well, they ate most it off my vals, and I have seen them eat a quite other few as well. Got some otos with them as well haha.

IMG_5365.jpg.8578ec5f4df6464ab998f6af3bb712ed.jpg

Beautiful tank!! 🙂

On 3/19/2023 at 12:46 PM, Guppysnail said:

This I’m not certain as I have no experience with l199. My mom, dad and lefty would not care. They get along with everyone. Angel who is Lefty’s brother and spawn of mom n dad had an attitude problem. I watched him constantly chase and a a few occasions ran into the side of a guppy. He was the only one that had any aggression in him. He was dominant even in his grow out as a baby. He was moved early because he would not share food. 
So I guess an individual of any species can have a bad attitude. 
Maybe @Colu or @rockfisher have experience with l199 and can shed more light. 

I have no experience with L199 an not sure how well  the combination of L199 and bristlenose would be as long you provide lots of caves and other hiding places I don't see why wouldn't work 

• Like 3