Thoughts in my water parameters

graciebee19

Hello! I started my tank 3 years ago, I've noticed over time that the ph in the tank is slightly higher than from the tap. I live in the country and we have well water. It's pretty hard stuff so we do have a water softer in the house. My parameters have been pretty constant gh 3 to 4, kh 13 to 14, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and ph 8.2. The tank is a fluval flex 9gl. It's got a good amount of plants in fluval stratum. The tap ph is 7.2 to 7.4. I have two ottos that are 3 years old, rams horns that do well. I have/had other fish like ember tetras (two embers that are 3 now) and a betta( the betta was two when he passed). Currently Im trying some chilis and some cpds. I'm just curious why I would see a change in the oh like that ( my understanding of ph is limited, but i never chased a number.) I had water as it evaporates and do water changes every 2 to 3 weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions are definitely welcome since I still feel like a baby in this hobby. Thanks and have a great day.

16786518907903255095261626774819.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 4:58 PM, TOtrees said:

Have you measured the pH of your tap water after aging it for a day or two? It may be coming out of the tap with dissolved gasses that are “artificially” lowering the pH. 

No I haven't but I definitely will test that!

On 3/12/2023 at 5:10 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You are raising KH by adding tap water to top off the tank. You ideally want to top off water with RO or distilled water.

Okay, I can do that I have options not far from me. Does keeping the KH less help lower PH?