Dark spot and swollen area on Harlequin rasbora

Maggie

Does anyone have an idea what this could be? I just got them yesterday and they're in quarantine. Ph around 6.8 (they came from LFS with similar water), temp 78. Everything else is zero as water is new (but aged a couple days and dechlorinated w/stress coat). He/she has eaten (i only fed them a tiny amount).

Thank you!

20201106_094646.jpg

20201106_094552.jpg

Are you asking about the swelling/color near the vent/anus? It could be a gravid female. I would keep an eye on it though, parasites are possible. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of an internal parasite until you familiarize yourself with that breed though. Gravid females my first guess. Not the easiest pictures to diagnose (a good quality one wouldn't even help me, but others might appreciate it. I wouldn't zoom so much; it makes for a low resolution)

• Thanks 1

Just now, Andrew Geiger said:

Are you asking about the swelling/color near the vent/anus? It could be a gravid female. I would keep an eye on it though, parasites are possible. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of an internal parasite until you familiarize yourself with that breed though. Gravid females my first guess. Not the easiest pictures to diagnose (a good quality one wouldn't even help me, but others might appreciate it. I wouldn't zoom so much; it makes for a low resolution)

Andrew, thank you!!! I started to wonder if that could be it, because she is acting/swimming normally, defecating normally, and eating normally. And she definitely appears to be female because of the rounded triangle and the lighter dorsal and tail fins. There's just that dark spot near the vent/anus (thanks didnt know what it was) and a slight swelling in her abdomen which is gone now. I named this group Cool and the Gang and she is Cool because she is the largest. I have not medicated but am keeping a close eye on them all (how can you not? They're so beautiful and animated!!)

• Like 1