Rainbow Fish Community Spawning

Jurrian Hering

If you were to put several different species of rainbow fish in tank with a few spawning mops would you get spawns from both? Or would one species predate too much on the others eggs in the mop?

Im planning on getting a group of praecox rainbows and Celebes rainbows to spawn but not sure if I could house them both in a 40 breeder.

On 3/11/2023 at 4:11 PM, Jurrian Hering said:

Im planning on getting a group of praecox rainbows and Celebes rainbows to spawn but not sure if I could house them both in a 40 breeder.

you should be fine in this matter, as long as you scape it with plenty of swimming room they should be good.

On 3/11/2023 at 4:11 PM, Jurrian Hering said:

If you were to put several different species of rainbow fish in tank with a few spawning mops would you get spawns from both? Or would one species predate too much on the others eggs in the mop?

so you are trying to colony breed them?

i would just check the mops periodcally and remove eggs when you see them, just make it easy.

i did check, you are not at a risk of cross breeding, as you have a Melatonea and a Marosatherina

On 3/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, Jurrian Hering said:

If you were to put several different species of rainbow fish in tank with a few spawning mops would you get spawns from both?

Depends on species but most likely yes

On 3/11/2023 at 3:11 PM, Jurrian Hering said:

Or would one species predate too much on the others eggs in the mop?

Depends on what all in in the tank. It also depends on if you are pulling the eggs or not. Basically a lot of factors to fully answer. 

I have 3 species of rainbows in a community tank. I have spawning mops in the tank primarily for pulling panda cory eggs but I do find rainbow eggs in it. I cannot speak for if they would survive being left in the tank, but I have hatched some by pulling them. If you wanted to spawn them in the tank, you could try hiding the ones you find in some moss or putting it in a breeder box.

I'm not sure the size of the fry of these specific species of rainbows, but I'm going to guess they are pretty tiny like mine are since they are also nano bows. Do be aware that if this is the case, normal fry food like first bites is too large for them. I made that mistake with my first ones and they starved to death. I now use Sera micro. I'm sure there are other options including live foods. 

Edited by Cinnebuns