New harlequin rasboras

Maggie

My eight new harlequins are settling into the quarantine tank. Does anyone have any idea what the brown splotch is on the one in the first pic? I'm hatching a new batch of brine shrimp eggs for them and the danios. 

I'm in love with my rasboras! From the first picture I saw when looking at what kind of fish i wanted, they were my #1 favorite. Seeing them just for a few hours has been pure joy. I adore their beautiful yellow-orange fins and their silvery bodies that glimmer in the light. It will be fun trying to figure out who is male and female. And I can't wait to put them in the bigger tank and go get 8 more friends for them! 

Having no experience with either danio erythromicron or harlequin rasboras or any other fish except long ago, I can see why they reclassified the danios. I'm not sure how gregarious other rasboras or danios are, but the difference in my two gangs is quite noticeable! The danios are very shy, tend to dart about a lot as well as hang in a group or go off alone, but they do not really swim synchronously so far (I imagine never, unless they were fleeing a predator, since they're shoaling rather than schooling - but here there won't be anything to run from!). Of course they're still pretty young juveniles (no blue-green yet,  just staring to get the pinkish hues!), so time will tell. The rasboras, which appear to be not far from being adults, go off alone or in pairs/groups, but often come together and all swim together. They're not at all shy so far and are very graceful swimmers!

20201106_071906.jpg

20201106_071820.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cory said:

I think the picture is too blurry and most of us don't see which brown spot you're talking about?

Here are better pics (I hope, sorry it is warped and blurry through the acrylic mini-bow). From the other direction there was a slight abdominal swelling. I've noticed today it's pretty much gone so maybe he(?) was constipated? Everyone is swimming and eating normally.

20201106_094557.jpg

20201106_094526(0).jpg