Any tips when buying a used aquarium?

BAT

I agree with @Pepere not sure what’s going on with the market right now but I’m not paying price as new with a $10 mark down for a 6 year old aquarium.

Should be roughly a $1 per gallon unless it’s a specialty aquarium or acrylic. Also I have had people say that an aquarium leaks brought it home filled it up and it was completely fine. Just make sure to really check the silicone seals if that’s the case.

• Like 1

Very careful inspection of every single glass pane, every edge, and every inch of seal.  Tiny defects at the edge of the silicone are no big deal, but you need to make sure defects don’t extend deep into the seal and the edges where the glass meets looks perfect - NO bubbles or any other defects where glass meets glass.  Small chips aren’t typically a big deal but deep chips, very sharp edges around the chips, or even the tiniest crack would be a hard no for me.  Cracks will always spread and can be massively catastrophic when they happen on bigger tanks.  Catastrophic to the tank inhabitants on smaller tanks not to mention pretty bad for your floors, any furniture around or under the tank, etc.

Have it outside on a very level, even surface when you test it the first time.  Fill it up all the way up to where it’s almost spilling over the rim.  Dry the entire outside and leave it out there long enough the concrete (or whatever it’s sitting on) dries completely so you can see if it’s leaking.  I have a 10 G that now seeps around the top rim if I fill it too full.  🤦🏻‍♀️ I’ll never buy a used 10 G again unless it’s virtually brand new and well under $10.00 (about the price when a 10 G goes half price) or full of something I actually want - plants, blackworms, fish, shrimp, etc, that is worth far more than the tank.  I’d essentially be paying for the contents, not the actual tank.

It is definitely buyer beware on used tanks.

• Like 1

I second everything that everyone has said. 90% of my tanks are used. I have resealed a few of them but some tanks will have an inspection tag from when they were made so if the tank is less than 10 years old and the silicone looks to be in good shape I won't reseal. I am less concerned because all my fish tanks are in my basement on a concrete floor. I have had a 55 gallon bust a seal and empty itself and thankfully I was there when it happened so I rescued all the fish. Just do a thorough inspection and then water test it in a safe place like your driveway or deck before bringing it inside. 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:29 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

agree with @Pepere not sure what’s going on with the market right now

Marketplace is silly. I've seen 10 gallon "full setup" tanks with cheap filter and a heater about to burn out listed for $180 and then I just got a 20 gallon, super nice stand, aquaclear filter, high end light, heater, and a bunch of other random goodies for $25. Now that was an amazing deal yes but as for the first example, some people really don't know what their stuff is worth. I actually linked that guy a kit from petco that's much cheaper with better quality stuff and he didn't even care lol. 

Inspect the silicone very closely, and I always ask how long it has been sitting without water in it, if it has been empty for more than a couple of months and been stored outside or someplace not temp controlled, its usually a pass for me unless it is a heck of a deal. I won't pay more than 50 cents a gallon for tanks under 55 gallon, especially when Petco did the $1/ gallon, and even now with them only doing 50% off I still stick close to it, unless there is some other stuff thrown in that I can use or possibly resell myself such as filters or lights. I also always ask people for measurements of the tank, I have had a few times where they say its like a 50 gallon tank and I get there and its a 20 or 29 gallon. 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:47 AM, BAT said:

Hi Nerms!

I am in the market for a bigger aquarium and have been looking on Facebook marketplace.

Any tips/advice/things to look out for while I sort through my options? 

If You live somewhere close to clovrdale Indiana I have 5 aquariums 
that I will  sell you for a 1$ a gal 3-55gals 1-20 gal long 1-30 gal long 
I can PROMISE you they are in good shape & WILL hold water.

If you're interested just message me & we'll go from there.