Cardinal Tetras with Ich

Scaperoot

Yesterday, we separated 11 Cardinal Tetras from our community tank after noticing 3 or 4 with what we believe to be Ich. No pics, sorry. We only see it on these Tetras, despite having over 40 fish in the 40 breeder. Should I have just treated the whole tank just in case? Last year, we treated the whole tank after our Pictus Catfish got it. In that instance, we did see it spread to other fish. Is it safe to assume this will spread again? I haven't seen any signs of Ich on the other fish, as of this morning. 

Edited by Scaperoot
Spelling

The last water change was performed over a week ago. I added a few plants this weekend. The only other change in the tank would be the birth of about a dozen Platy in the last 2 weeks. The fish are well fed, and fasted on Sunday. It took us two hours to catch the Tetras, so I didn't have time to do a liquid test on the water. I forgot to mention that we've had the Tetras for nearly a year. The last time we added fish to the tank was 4-6 weeks ago. 

3 of the Cardinals died yesterday. Oddly enough, none of the 3 showed signs of Ich. I checked each one and couldn't find a single spot on them. The ones with what appears to be Ich are still in quarantine. I think I stressed them out in the process of catching them.