What are these critters?

memorywrangler

On 3/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I don’t know.. the photos don’t show legs. @Guppysnail, ever seen these? She seems to have a lot of miscellaneous knowledge about microfauna. Tagging @dasaltemelosguy just because he has a microscope 🤷🏻‍♀️

The first photo looks sort of something like a fish louse. I have never seen one in Person though so that is a total guess. 

@Biotope Biologist @modified lung @Colu

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 2:10 AM, Guppysnail said:

The first photo looks sort of something like a fish louse. I have never seen one in Person though so that is a total guess. 

@Biotope Biologist @modified lung @Colu

I don't think that a fish louse it doesn't have the legs and you don't usually get them in large numbers on the  glass of your aquarium it looks familiar but a can't place it hopefully  someone else can give a positive ID

Edited by Colu

• 3 weeks later...

I got some better pictures.  I put a microscope slide in the aquarium for a couple weeks so I could look at one without scraping it off the glass.  It looks like the the things on the glass are eggs.  You can see the embryo moving in the gif.  But eggs of what?

I also found an adult something.  I'm not sure if they are related.

image.gif.c585d7a26b61a0672fde54de4c4a0a47.gifimage.jpeg.3d7180f093ddfcf599715581af35e26c.jpegimage.jpeg.8a0b872bedcbdf1df0ac3f094a3f12ca.jpeg

• Like 2

I think it’s a Copepod. It so you would not want to get rid of them. Most are beneficial to your aquarium. They are detritivores, so it is beneficial to have them in the aquarium as part of the tank’s ecosystem. Copepods are also make a great snack for small fish.

On 3/27/2023 at 4:47 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

They do look like eggs of some sort of thing. It kinda appears the egg is upside down and the butt is moving while the grey blob at the bottom is the head. I can make out antennae. 

It looks like an egg to me as well. I thought the opposite though. The head at the top with some moving mouth parts and grey blob butt. I haven't come across anything like it here though.