Shrimplets have arrived!

smm333

I fed my red rili tank and was watching it a bit before lights out when I spotted the tiniest baby shrimp on the glass! After a lot of time searching I saw 2 more. They are so small that it took me dozens of tries to get a few pictures. My phone couldn't focus on the shrimp! 

I set this tank up in December and have been waiting for this moment! Way to go rili mama's!

20230306_215043.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 4

On 3/6/2023 at 10:23 PM, smm333 said:

I fed my red rili tank and was watching it a bit before lights out when I spotted the tiniest baby shrimp on the glass! After a lot of time searching I saw 2 more. They are so small that it took me dozens of tries to get a few pictures. My phone couldn't focus on the shrimp! 

I set this tank up in December and have been waiting for this moment! Way to go rili mama's!

That is such a great feeling.  Very nice job and congratulations.  Now tell us all of your care methods! 🙂

On 3/6/2023 at 10:35 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

That is such a great feeling.  Very nice job and congratulations.  Now tell us all of your care methods! 🙂

Ha ha! I'm very new at this, so I don't know if I can even claim a real "method". The tank is a 20 gallon long set up with ro water remineralized with salty shrimp. It has a matten filter. Drift wood, floating plants, mosses, Indian Almond leaves and black sand from petsmart. I feed them shrimp King foods and Bacter AE. I added Shrimp Baby from Glas Garten in the rotation when I saw berries females. The tank is unheated in a 72° room. I have just been winging it, lol! Watching videos, reading other people's success stories and hoping to get it right! 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm pretty excited to have also found a berried female in my blue dream tank! I'm a bit concerned for her babies after seeing the size they start out at because that tank has strawberry rasboras. Currently watching videos to figure out the best way to handle that. I really like the fish in there so I am looking at all my options.

The idea I have been leaning towards  is moving her to a nursery tank when the eggs are close to hatching. Once the babies are hatched, I can move her back to the main tank, and leave the babies to grow in the nursery tank.

Has anyone tried this? 

20230306_232551.jpg

Edited by smm333
Add photo
  • Love 1

Also I would not move the berried female. Shrimp like stable environment and parameters. She may even drop eggs if gets stressed. Let her be in her tank, would be my suggestion.

Also when shrimp change waters and environment, they usually molt. And berried females can't molt. Which would be again potentially problematic

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 2:13 AM, smm333 said:

Darn it, that is what I am worried about. I want the babies to have the best chance and I worry about the rasboras, even though they are teeny. Maybe I'll just build some more caves and hiding spots.

Strawberry rasboras are really tiny. As long as they make it out of their mouth size, it should be fine. 

You can easily see the berried female right? I would follow her closely, and would keep the rasboras full for a period when you no longer see the eggs. 

Dense plants and cover should help. IT was not a big help in my case with rummy noses, but they have a bigger mouth than your rasboras, so they pose a danger for a much longer period until they grow a good size.

Best of luck!

On 3/7/2023 at 3:21 PM, Lennie said:

Strawberry rasboras are really tiny. As long as they make it out of their mouth size, it should be fine. 

You can easily see the berried female right? I would follow her closely, and would keep the rasboras full for a period when you no longer see the eggs. 

Dense plants and cover should help. IT was not a big help in my case with rummy noses, but they have a bigger mouth than your rasboras, so they pose a danger for a much longer period until they grow a good size.

Best of luck!

I will definately keep a close eye on her. Seeing how small baby neocaradina are was a bit shocking, lol! The rasboras have tiny mouths, but I see them staring into the sand like tiny predators a lot. I'm not sure what they are seeing- maybe tiny creatures like cyclops or something? I don't see anything! I'm hoping everyone can just get along because I'm loving how this tank looks! The blue dreams are really active, the rasboras are always zipping around keeping the tank alive with movement, and the snails coloring really adds a nice pop.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:13 PM, smm333 said:

Darn it, that is what I am worried about. I want the babies to have the best chance and I worry about the rasboras, even though they are teeny. Maybe I'll just build some more caves and hiding spots.

I don't know that caves will help, but it's worth a try.  You said above that you have moss and floating plants, but it's my impression that you were talking about a different tank that time.  Does the one with the rasboras and the berried blue shrimp also have floating plants and moss?  If yes, a good number of the babies should survive.

Adding more plants will help (especially ones that form a dense mass), along with a pile of dead brown fallen leaves.  They don't have to be Indian almond leaves.  I've used magnolia leaves, sycamore leaves, cottonwood leaves, and at least three species of oak leaves.  A pile of small stones, sized so the shrimp can get inside but the fish can't, is another option.

• Thanks 1

I have very soft well water and was unsuccessful with previous attempts at neocaradina, so I went with ro water for those tanks. 

I do have moss in that tank, but I will add more.

I saw the rock piles creating caves in a YouTube video which is what I meant by caves. 

I really love this little ecosystem!

20230308_073237.jpg

• Like 1