water testing question, please help, I am SO confused.

Theplatymaster

I am asking this question because i believe might have  something up with my water testing.

I am using the ACO test strips, but this is not a question about them.

According to the tests my water is very acidic (6.5), but its unclear.

at the same time when the store tested with an API master kit, they said my PH was 7.6, but i use Prime which apparently messes with the API kit..

i dont really trust the results of the test kit, because i have Platies,a nerite snail, and mini ramshorn snails thriving in my water, so i dont believe that i have such a low PH.

So do i have adaptable animals?

or

should i look into a new test kit?

or

Am i testing it wrong?

or

Is it something else?

please help, i am SO confused.

On 3/6/2023 at 12:33 PM, Lennie said:

it kinda is as he has ramshorns, nerites and mystery snails 

My ramshorns, mystery snails and nerites don't have an issue with my 6.5 ph. I do make sure that they get enough calcium because of my water. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 11:37 PM, knee said:

My ramshorns, mystery snails and nerites don't have an issue with my 6.5 ph. I do make sure that they get enough calcium because of my water. 

As far as I know, Calcium in water column and in their diet provides them a good shell growth. Lack of calcium and/or Low ph cause eroison on their shell. Snail shells are mostly calcium carbonate, so they dissolve when the ph is acidic. It does not directly affect the wellbeing of the snail mostly but it is problematic in the long run, as it is not suitable environment for them. You cannot really repair the damages in the old shell once it is done. Calcium is not enough alone to prevent damages that ph cause

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/6/2023 at 12:49 PM, Lennie said:

As far as I know, Calcium in water column and in their diet provides them a good shell growth. Lack of calcium and/or Low ph cause eroison on their shell. Snail shells are mostly calcium carbonate, so they dissolve when the ph is acidic. It does not directly affect the wellbeing of the snail mostly but it is problematic in the long run, as it is not suitable environment for them. You cannot really repair the damages in the old shell once it is done. Calcium is not enough alone to prevent damages that ph cause

Thank you for this. I didn't know and thought providing them calcium is enough. I guess seeing them lay eggs and breed, I thought they were doing fine. I gotta rehome them now or figure something out 🙏

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, Pepere said:

I find the co op test strips consistently  measure the ph low compared to API liquid test kit.

if my friend has the API kit ill bring a water sample to his house and compare the results,

otherwise ill just go to my LFS and have the water tested there. (they use the API master kit, im pretty sure...)

On 3/7/2023 at 1:07 AM, Theplatymaster said:

if my friend has the API kit ill bring a water sample to his house and compare the results,

otherwise ill just go to my LFS and have the water tested there. (they use the API master kit, im pretty sure...)

the ph might change due to aeration right? So maybe the sample you take to store or to your friend potentially may read different ph than in your tank?

thank you all for your suggestions.

I have contacted CS and @Candi suggested its just something in my water that disagrees with the test kit.

I am no longer concerned as long as everything is healthy, it will also explain why the CC ive added seems to be doing nothing, i may invest in a API master kit now for good results.

On 3/6/2023 at 7:02 PM, Fish Folk said:

Take to your LFS for free testing too 😎

ill do that this weekend

i suspect my PH is between 7 and 8 just based on my fish and snails doing well. (probably lower 7s considering my cories are doing great aswell).

thank you all for your responses!

I have found the issue and am no longer concerned. I emailed ACO CS and it turns out some water does not react well with the ACO strips, and this tank is getting water from the bathroom right nearby.

Ive realized that whatever this is that messes with the results, it is not in filtered water, as testing my 2.5gallon in the kitchen, where the source is filtered water from the kitchen sink, it doesnt have this issue, i may have to get a new test system...although the 2 things that seem off are the PH and maybe the GH, so ill see how i progress. (i doubt anyone makes a PH, GH kit (with just those two) and its accurate)

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/6/2023 at 3:55 PM, Pepere said:

I find the co op test strips consistently  measure the ph low compared to API liquid test kit.

having said that I have no way of knowing which one is closer to the truth.

That's why I don't worry about it as much, cause
you don't know what to trust or believe anymore.
I have heard you go off on a wild goose chase &
you end up adding stuff that you don't need OR
taking something out that you mainly have to have. 

So I just add water, filtration, substrate, water
conditioner, & put fresh water fish in it & let it go 
for a few weeks see what happens.

Edited by Flying fox 6523

On 3/6/2023 at 8:39 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

So I just add water, filtration, substrate, water
conditioner, & put fresh water fish in it & let it go 
for a few weeks see what happens.

not a bad method, fish are rather adaptable, i was worrying about it for snails, where the PH can be a win or break on them.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:49 PM, Theplatymaster said:

not a bad method, fish are rather adaptable, i was worrying about it for snails, where the PH can be a win or break on them.

On 3/6/2023 at 8:49 PM, Theplatymaster said:

I have 6 tiger nerite snails in my 75 gal I got this past Wednesday
tore down the tank Saturday & set it back up yesterday & put 3
of the snails back in it today, 8 hrs. later their still alive, so I
figure their going to do just fine, no water testing nothing.