Question About Pea Puffer and Guppy Fry

Denied Taco

Hello, I have a question. So I am switching up my tanks and will be selling my guppy fry to my lfs. But I have to wait until they are sexable. They will be in a few weeks but I’m hoping to move them into a different tank before then. The tank I want to move them to is a 45 gallon with 3 pea puffers, 2 honey gouramis, 3 bristlenose plecos and 2 corys (I had 5 but they’re old and are passing over time and I don’t know if I want more as of right now). Everyone gets along great and they have all been together for 6 months. My question is, will my guppy fry (about a centimetre big/0.4 inches) be okay with the pea puffers? I don’t think my gouramis will mind them as they are very friendly. My pea puffers are also pretty friendly. They don’t pick on anyone or each other. I have the 15ish fry in a 20 gallon right now as their grow out tank. I can put some live plants in to help hide the fry like java moss in the 45 to help hide them. I obviously don’t want to have them all die. Any advice would be great. 

• Like 1

I have about 10 Guppy/ Endler fry in a 10 gal with 3 Pea Puffers, I thought they would eat them. However, the puffers have ignored the fry and the fry are growing fast, because I often feed the Puffers live baby brine shrimp. :classic_biggrin:.   I'd heard bad things, so I thought I'd try for myself and see.... Well my Puffers appear to Not be ' 'Murder Beans', as some people call them. :classic_laugh:

20230131_174406.jpg

• Like 1

@Matt B Do you have a lot of live plants everywhere in your tank? It looks like it. That’s a cool photo by the way. Yeah I heard after I bought them that they can be “murder beans”. Mine are quite nice to the other fish. I really don’t think the fry are small enough to fit in their mouths. At least not in one bite, which sounds horrible. The fry are fairly big, like I said almost able to determine the sex and their patterns are coming out on some of their tails. Although a concern could be them getting food. Because my gouramis LOVE food. I feed them twice a day with twice weekly frozen bloodworms. Thanks. 

• Like 1

@Denied Taco Yes, Pogo Octopus is thick, borderline out of control. :classic_laugh: The fish seem to love it. There's also a Red Dwarf Lilly and a Vallisneria. A lot of places for everyone to be out of sight when they want to be.  I've also been concerned about everyone getting food. The Guppys are getting big and I'm considering putting them back into our 20 gal long Guppy tank.  🤔

20230302_121257.jpg

• Like 1

@Denied Taco You have to ask yourself “if the fry disappear, are you ok with that?” There’s no right or wrong answer. You will hear about some people having success, however the overwhelming majority dubbed pea puffers “murder helicopters” for a reason. In my experience, they will eat anything smallish and will eventually begin to nip at fins if left in a community long enough. Now obviously if you have 2 pea puffers in a 125 gallon then the likelihood of success increases drastically. There are many factors, question is are you willing to take that gamble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1