Empty 75 gallon…

mynameisnobody

Hello all, I recently emptied out a 75 gallon. Question is, what should live here. I was going to dedicate it to an Oscar, but I’m not 100% sold on the idea. Other ideas, are a colony of Chindongo Saulosi. I was also thinking a giant bed of Val and leaving it fishless for the time being. Any ideas or suggestions. Thank you. 

It may sound cliche..... but I thought really liked keeping fish.....and then I got an Oscar. Boy, do I love it. He's actually a pet, similar to a cat or dog. my enjoyment really grew.  I know alot of folks have them, but they are just so darn easy to like.

With that being said, mine is a big ol' boy, and I would consider a 75 gallon too small. I really feel a 6 foot footprint would be necessary for an adult Oscar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 3:34 PM, mynameisnobody said:

I was going to dedicate it to an Oscar,

Wild Oscars are such beauties if you can find a good one.  I would nudge it in this direction.  I'll toss in a video below, 3 wild oscars, really unique and very small/young.  Just really cool interesting fish.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oscars are really fun - I'd recommend a Flowerhorn, if you want a wet pet but maybe want something a bit different. A 75 will be comfortable for life (for most strains) and they tend to be incredibly interactive, IME.

Here's mine:

11080.JPG.f294ca01f3beaab840d49015e6ed310c.JPG

2.JPG.e2b33127de1709e9e4adad9408bf9d38.JPG

• Thanks 1

@quikv6 Thank you for the input. I was searching for a wet pet and wasn’t sure if they’d be able to live their entire life in a 75, not sure I want to upgrade it later on so I may or may not. 
@nabokovfan87 Thank you, I will check out the video

@Chris Ultimately this is what I wanted. I used to have a super red dragon and loved him until he passed. I’m looking at Flowerhorns now but the only issue is that I’d want a king kamfa and they are pretty expensive. Or else this is the winner, hands down. Good luck with yours, he looks like a champ. 

• Like 1

A my LFS today I discovered a species I NEVER saw before, and looks a lot like a huge dwarf sunfish. I only resisted because it would have gone into the tank hat I still had the bag of congo tetras in my hand for. If they were full-sized, I might have still, but they are still juveniles.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/paratilapia-polleni/

The lighter scales were actually iridescent and they get just about as big as an oscar, just shy of 12 inches. They are apparently pretty chill as far as cichlids go. It is now on my 'maybe' list, since I cannot seem to find a good place locally to get the dwarfs.

• Like 1

African leaf fish maybe?

I like their look, and you can turn it into a planted community tank with big-sized tankmates anytime. And it can provide the puppy behavior I bet

Opens more door for potential excitement in the future compared to an oscar imo, as oscar tankmates and tank design are really limited especially in a 75g compared to how big the tank mates should be, and may be dull to look at the tank after some time no matter how much you love the fish.

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

@CrashBandit05 you may as well have suggested I put a Toyota Corolla in the 75. I know all about them and their care is far beyond what I plan on doing, nor do I want to venture into reptiles. 

@Luciferkrist I had a polleni a few years back. They’re basically like an Oscar personality wise but were a bit more boisterous than the Oscar’s I’ve seen. Super cool fish and striking especially in a blacked out aquarium. 

Edited by mynameisnobody

My suggestion would be either that dream planted aquascape, or several larger fish instead of one big fish.

When My 75 arrived, I had a similar question.  I went with Red Tailed Tinfoil Barbs. They can be a little blah color wise, but, they live up to their name if you can get the lighting right. In natural sunlight they are amazing. I like them because they are big enough to watch individual fish from a distance and are a true schooling fish.  My only regret is that there won't be live plants in the tank with them.  Had I known that, I might have gone in a different direction😕

• Like 1

Btw, since we do mention classics here, do you have/have you ever had orange severums? @mynameisnobody

I think they look amazing! Def in my list for one day.

Also knife fish don’t get the care and love they deserve in the hobby much. You love keeping big tanks. Maybe 75 as a grow out tank for knife fish?

I would love to see one getting a good care and aging up well:) they are such cool creatures

• Like 1

I don't know that you can beat an oscar (water dog) for interaction.  They're terrorists in large part, but I would be completely lying if I told you I don't think about bringing one home weekly.  I had some many years ago and they're my all-time favorite fish.  

I may be emptying my 75 of discus into my 125 at some point in the future and I feel like an oscar might be in the cards for the 75 after that. If that's your gut feel, I say go for it!

Otherwise, I usually just let tanks sit empty until I feel like I have thought through all possible ideas and one finally hangs on. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 10:49 AM, jwcarlson said:

I don't know that you can beat an oscar (water dog) for interaction.  They're terrorists in large part, but I would be completely lying if I told you I don't think about bringing one home weekly.  I had some many years ago and they're my all-time favorite fish.  

I may be emptying my 75 of discus into my 125 at some point in the future and I feel like an oscar might be in the cards for the 75 after that. If that's your gut feel, I say go for it!

Otherwise, I usually just let tanks sit empty until I feel like I have thought through all possible ideas and one finally hangs on. 

Forgot to add that Tolstoy21 did a really great job with his Oscar-scape, IMO.  Not sure if you have seen it.  

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:16 PM, jwcarlson said:

Forgot to add that Tolstoy21 did a really great job with his Oscar-scape, IMO.  Not sure if you have seen it.  

It looks very beautiful, but they mentioned that they had to take anubias and lavarocks out as they were damaging the plants and they were scratching themselves on the ground. 

• Like 2

So after a bit more research and a delve into what really interests me, I am going to be going with a Flowerhorn. Specifically either a King Kamfa, a Black Kamfa, or a super red monkey. My wife and kids instantly went nuts when they saw photos of them. 
@jwcarlson big fish are going to be big fish. Once you dive into that world, I think the best approach is to accept that there is no aquascape, it’s fully about the fish. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 11:26 AM, mynameisnobody said:

@jwcarlson big fish are going to be big fish. Once you dive into that world, I think the best approach is to accept that there is no aquascape, it’s fully about the fish. 

Yes, my oscar aquascapes were three plastic plants they used like soccer balls and "big-ish smooth rock" lol

@Lennie Darn, I didn't read any updates or if I did, it didn't register.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, CrashBandit05 said:

This is totally outside the box but what about an Elephant Trunk snake? Fully aquatic, stay fairly small... can also be kept with fish. I've seen a few videos and it would be cool (imo) to have a mini anaconda!

thanks, really cool now when I get my own house ill have to make room for 2 giant paludariums (one for the elephant trunk snake, and one for a caiman lizard)

my loved ones will be cursing me for generations for all the debt ill accumulate, and floors that will have holes in them