Pink Angelfish

John Forbes

Yes I am 100% sure these are angelfish fry. Some of them are completely clear like GlassFish. But most are pink.

There are other fish in the tank. Some Bolivian rams and a different species of angelfish. I sat and watched the two parents spawning. I'm 100% sure they are angelfish fry. After they were done I removed the eggs and out them in a different tank. 

John

On 3/5/2023 at 6:16 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

3892D95A-93D2-4B69-AB99-AC50A778B5CD.jpeg

see here is where i am confused, these are angelfish^

these are glofish skirt tetras:

2023-03-05-184627.jpg.b95dfc363446efd1de2a345bdc058517.jpg

those in the picture REALLY make me think its glofish skirt tetras, that explains the pink, and the body shape, though not how they got there.

take this fish for example in your picture:

F76ezafQBy6kv4zQcqTEUwf02sEOFuTFzWxzI4PbuzozJ9EjLHGqh0rPDxII4iIyn4a2kSue1CboI2bwcdOii9jLJuhcvTnrPkkJECNeyCAuM_WZZOka6W8x2snGQffNMHjlYvj4d4wWOAku3akA1pRTpA=s2048

that is the fin structure of a skirt tetra, not an angelfish.

here is a normal skirt tetra:

Screenshot_2023-03-05_18-51-17.png.528570ffb3e0ca030c7b0ca9bc09dfb9.png

fin up, fin down, fin out. fins start at middle of body then elongate out from there.

which compared to this picture:

Screenshot_2023-03-05_18-48-04.png.0ad50698387476527ecea001439a98ff.png

we can see many similarities.

Screenshot_2023-03-05_18-52-33.png.6503c90ff377d5c04e2b85c670f49af1.png

compared to an angelfish:

Screenshot_2023-03-05_18-54-19.png.4d82fd6aa5d8920b82683ff0a3a9560e.png

i dont know how it happened, but in my opinion you have glofish skirt tetras, not angelfish.

@John Forbes

Edited by Theplatymaster

Everything you have said makes sense except for how it happened. I literally watched my angelfish spawn. I then moved the eggs to a different tank and these are the resulting fry. At least so I thought.

Now, the tank I moved the eggs to at one time did have glofish in it. But I removed them a week prior to adding  the angelfish eggs.

So the only plausible explanation is that there was already glofish eggs In That tank that i didn't know about prior to the glofish removal, and the angelfish eggs that I moved there didn't survive.  The timing was perfect. 

Thanks for your help.

John

On 3/5/2023 at 8:06 PM, John Forbes said:

Thanks for your help.

always happy to help.

sorry about your lost angelfish spawn, from what i hear they are relatively easy to breed, you should get more eggs soon (if you want them).

oh and @John Forbesjust a warning that due to some odd rules that let a company trademark a fish, it is Illegal to make money off of glofish, just keep that in mind when it comes to rehoming (im assuming you will rehome them) the fry. You are allowed to give them to friends though.

to quote the ACO website:

Is it illegal to breed GloFish? GloFish are trademarked and patented by GloFish LLC, so only they and their affiliates are legally allowed to breed and sell them. If your fish accidentally reproduce in your home or school aquarium, it is not a problem. However, the sale, barter, or trade of GloFish offspring by hobbyists and other unlicensed entities is strictly prohibited.

Edited by Theplatymaster

Wow. This is an interesting turn of events!

I'm curious, is it just the 1 blue and the rest pink?  The pic isn't clear, but the blue one looks thinner and smaller than the rest. Is it?

The reason I ask is because my experience with glotetras has seemed the blue ones tend to be smaller, thinner, and overall more sickly looking. It doesn't always mean they are sickly, just tend to be smaller and look ill. The one I had looked thin and sick the entire time I had it and most other blues I've seen look similar. The one I had also was rarely with the group. That may have been a personality thing but I've def noticed blue ones looking more sickly in general. 

The colouring on glowfish is not natural so if they did spawn i would not expect the frys to have pink in them. Also looking at your adult anglefish your light does not look neutral which i think might add to some of the confusion.

[I've already been corrected three times; when you reach this message before reading the rest of the thread; you don't need to correct me again.]

Edited by anewbie

Yes I agree that the coloring is not natural, still the fry are pink. its ok at least I know what they are. I was convinced that somehow they were angelfish fry because of the timing of the spawn. I got fooled... No worries. I cant sell the glofish fry so I will have to either find someone to give them to or I will have to keep them.

John

On 3/6/2023 at 11:56 AM, anewbie said:

The colouring on glowfish is not natural so if they did spawn i would not expect the frys to have pink in them. Also looking at your adult anglefish your light does not look neutral which i think might add to some of the confusion.

It’s genetic modification so their babies will have it passed down 

On 3/6/2023 at 11:56 AM, anewbie said:

the glofish is a genetic thing, glofish that breed can have glofish fry.

On 3/6/2023 at 12:24 PM, Miska said:

So wait, you can't sell glo fish but you can give them away?

that is correct.

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:11 PM, John Forbes said:

I have a tank of Golden Angelfish that are spawning. The fry are pink. Yes Pink. Just wondering what happened here? OR are the Fry supposed to be hot pink like this?

John Forbes

Pink Fish Parents.jpg

Pink Fish1.jpg

Sorry to say but those are not angelfish fry, those are glo skirt tetra fry, dont get caught in a case with the glo company😄

Edited by DiscusLover

On 3/6/2023 at 12:46 PM, anewbie said:

the clear is probably recessive gene. 

that would make sense,

a less likely but possible explanation is that 

the clear are runts that havent yet developed the full coloration.

the clears look smaller.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 3/6/2023 at 10:56 AM, anewbie said:

No that's not how glofish work. The coloring is on the genetic level and therefore is passed onto offspring. 

Sorry, I should have read further. Others already corrected you. I apologize. 

On 3/6/2023 at 11:48 AM, Theplatymaster said:

the clear are runts that havent yet developed the full coloration.

My experience with the "blue" glofish is they almost always look clears, thin, smaller, and overall less healthy. Seems it's not just my experience but even these raised side by side with the pinks. Maybe something is off with the genes they used to make blue.