Disease or battle damage

giantlumberjack

Hey just wanted to know what you guys think this is. My Angelfish started having these white scars all over for a while now and i'm worried. Especially now that i saw a hole on its ""nose"". Is it a disease? Bad water condition maybe? I have this swordtail that seem to occasionally spar with it sometimes. These white scars started to appear at the same time that my swordtail fully grew up so i dont know if its related or just coincidence. Its weird because for the most part its fins are all fine its just the body and a bit of the upper fin.

Any way i could fix this?

PS: sorry for the dirty water in the pics.

Also if you need more pics i can try getting some more if you guys think it will help.

thumbnail_20201104_191509.jpg

thumbnail_20201104_191451.jpg

thumbnail_20201104_191448.jpg

thumbnail_20201104_191536.jpg

thumbnail_20201104_191327_Burst01.jpg

thumbnail_20201104_191351.jpg

Edited by giantlumberjack

Can you see the wounds/spots well enough to tell if they’re changing over time? Growing, shrinking or staying the same?

How about it’s poops? Are they normal?

Here’s an article about hole in the head disease. I don’t have experience with it personally but this article seems like a good overview of the different contributing factors and treatments.

cichlid-fish-379739371-300x168.jpg
PETCENTRAL.CHEWY.COM

Pet Central helps you understand Hexamita, the parasitic fish disease, including its pathology, treatment and prevention.

3 hours ago, giantlumberjack said:

Sorry for the late reply but yeah I think that's it. I was not sure but i saw some other damage near its head. That being said changing the filter seems to have help. It says you need metronidazole to cure right? Can i get that here in canada? Since my country seems to have ban some stuff recently.

Based on a quick Google it seems to only be available by prescription. Aquarium salt is very effective against external ailments so I'd suggest trying that! Aquarium Co-Op has a blog article on it.

WWW.AQUARIUMCOOP.COM

Should aquarium salt be used in freshwater tanks? Some people recommend dosing it all the time to provide fish with essential electrolytes while others say it’s mostly used for treating diseases. After years of testing with...

Ah alright i will try that and post the results. Thanks mates. Though only thing Should i separate my angel fish from the others? My aquarium does have plants and a snail. Also I think hes fully grown and my hospital tank is a five gallon will he still be alright?

Edited by giantlumberjack

I don't think anything that he may have would be transmissible to your plants or invertebrates. The one concern that comes to mind is that aquarium salt can cause plants to die. A 5 gallon for an adult angelfish is definitely on the small end, though I've definitely quarantined adults in a Rubbermaid tub.

Salt doesn't evaporate out of the water so I would only re-dose to replace any salt removed in a water change. If this were my angelfish, I'd have it in my Rubbermaid tub with a heater and sponge filter + some hides (I use pieces of terracotta and slate from the landscaping section of a hardware store) and dose 1 TBS per 2 gallons of water in the tub. From there, it's all observation. If the fish seems to be improving I would maintain that dosage until the symptoms abate, otherwise I would likely increase the salt concentration to 1TBS per 1 gallon of water.

With disease I usually test the parameters to see if a change is required. Since I have no plants to feed in my quarantine setups I shoot for 20 nitrates or less on my nitrate readings and only do a water change if I have positive readings for ammonia, nitrite, or more than 20ppm nitrate. Having stable water conditions has anecdotally helped a lot with the healing process when treating disease so I don't like to change water if it's unnecessary.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hikar Vibra bites fluvial   bug bites and a variety of frozen food and freeze dried  hikar bio encapsulated freeze dried food is good  i feed my fish Vibra bites or fluvial bugs in morning and frozen or freeze dried in evening but I feed different frozen each time so they have a variety of nutrients 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Colu said:

Hikar Vibra bites fluvial   bug bites and a variety of frozen food and freeze dried  hikar bio encapsulated freeze dried food is good  i feed my fish Vibra bites or fluvial bugs in morning and frozen or freeze dried in evening but I feed different frozen each time so they have a variety of nutrients 

Alright i will try to vary his diet more and see if he improves. Will report back in a week or two.

• 4 weeks later...