Killifish and Why

Garren

I am looking at putting a pair of killifish in a 10 gallon tank. I am never had killifish but would love to try with a good hardy pair for a beginner. 

Please tell me your recommendation as to what killifish I should start with and why.  

I appreciate you taking your time to reply.

• Administrators

oh! Cory just did a video for this exact purpose haha https://youtu.be/DLJtTl_IJSk.

I'm a massive fan of clown killis because they're super fun to watch and I think they're really cute - but depends what you're looking for. They're real easy to keep, don't need a heater. You'll need a lid for that tank for sure though! 

7 minutes ago, Lizzie Block said:

oh! Cory just did a video for this exact purpose haha https://youtu.be/DLJtTl_IJSk.

I'm a massive fan of clown killis because they're super fun to watch and I think they're really cute - but depends what you're looking for. They're real easy to keep, don't need a heater. You'll need a lid for that tank for sure though! 

Thanks for sharing the video link. I thought I may have missed this one but I did watch this video. Had to watch it again because I did not remember watching it...That is when you know you watch way to many fish videos....LOL 😂

Edited by Garren B
  • Haha 1

Norman's Lampeye Killifish are kink of cool with their shiny blue eye!

Unlike other annual killifish, Norman's are 'semi-annual' meaning they live 2-3 years.

I'm going to try some of those in my 37g tank once it gets cycled.

If you like the size and look of killifish, check out the Pseudomugil  varieties of Australian rainbow fish. They are as colorful and live linger.

Have fun in you QfF - Quest for Fish 🐠!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dandy Pearl said:

Norman's Lampeye Killifish are kink of cool with their shiny blue eye!

Unlike other annual killifish, Norman's are 'semi-annual' meaning they live 2-3 years.

I'm going to try some of those in my 37g tank once it gets cycled.

If you like the size and look of killifish, check out the Pseudomugil  varieties of Australian rainbow fish. They are as colorful and live linger.

Have fun in you QfF - Quest for Fish 🐠!

I like how the Lampeye occupies the top part of the tank. This to me always seems to be the hardest part with balancing out species that occupy different levels of the tank. Appreciate the input. 

• 1 month later...

While I love clown killies, I have found them to be more challenging. I would recommend something from the genus Aphyosemion for your first pair. I breed Aphyosemion striatum which I would definitely recommend, but they can be difficult to find. Aphyosemion australe are more common and fairly similar fish.