Hard water & (used) crush coral

I have a nice bucket load of used crush coral & I hate to buy more 
to replace what I have to put in my 75 gal so I was wondering IF
I could use it for the extra layer of substrate to feed the plant's.

I could put it in B-tween layers of gravel or over the roots of the 
plant's being it holds the muck from the feed & waste that builds 
up over time, I'm fixing to start working on the tank this wk-end.

Here is a article I found about the subject what's your thoughts ?
Crushed Coral < article Thank you for your response ❤

On 3/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Using CC in a planted tank doesn't make sense. What's the GH of your source water?

With what the tank has is good, but it's what comes out of the
tap I worry about, with them ? bringing contaminated stuff
not far from my area I tend to worry you know what I mean ?
I just bought 3 big bottles of aqua safe I've used for years 
& I add it to the tank as well to help with the water levels.

I have some HARD water but I've had guppies that multiplied 
like crazy & goldfish & now I have leopard & zebra danio's
with 6 albino Cory's, & 3 molly's & 6 nerite tiger snails.

On 3/4/2023 at 12:24 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

With what the tank has is good, but it's what comes out of the
tap I worry about, with them ? bringing contaminated stuff
not far from my area I tend to worry you know what I mean ?
I just bought 3 big bottles of aqua safe I've used for years 
& I add it to the tank as well to help with the water levels.

I have some HARD water but I've had guppies that multiplied 
like crazy & goldfish & now I have leopard & zebra danio's
with 6 albino Cory's, & 3 molly's & 6 nerite tiger snails.

What's the GH of the tap?

Crushed coral is used for increasing gh, kh and ph of the water. It is not related to plants really, nor an ideal substrate.

It may provide some calcium for the plants, but that's kinda all really. And most ferts dose calcium to the tank anyway.

Knowing your water parameters make more sense before trying to raise it with crushed corals.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, knee said:

Are you trying to raise your KH? 

No not really, & the article I seen explains that I know 
but I thought since it's been sitting in a bucket for a 
year I could use it in the tank for extra substrate over 
the 1st layer of substrate that I  put in, then the plant's 
& use it over the roots so the junk can seep through
along with help hold the plant's in place & put a layer 
over that (3rd) layer would be pea gravel as a cap.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:26 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

🤔 It came up in the danger zone, so yea.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:29 PM, Lennie said:

Crushed coral is used for increasing gh, kh and ph of the water. It is not related to plants really, nor an ideal substrate.

It may provide some calcium for the plants, but that's kinda all really. And most ferts dose calcium to the tank anyway.

Knowing your water parameters make more sense before trying to raise it with crushed corals.

"Knowing your water parameters" I tested my tap water & it went to the danger zone 
so that's about all I can tell you on that, I read the article I put on here so yea I know 
what you're saying so I appreciate the help Thank You.❤

On 3/4/2023 at 10:48 AM, Lennie said:

How’s crushed coral supposed to feed plants? 

If you read the article I put on here you'd see what I mean 

On 3/4/2023 at 10:48 AM, Lennie said:

How’s crushed coral supposed to feed plants? 

if you get the right amount in there, then you will be creating the perfect
environmental conditions for your fish. 
it is one of the easiest ways to start to tinker with your water chemistry.
it is much more likely to trap old pieces of food, fish waste, vision this

each layer will be a inch thick so when the food & muck drops it sinks
in the substrate & thus feeds the plants 
top layer  level 3 substrate > river rock
middle layer level 2 substrate >(crushed coral mixed with pea gravel)
bottom layer  level 1 substrate >Nickle size rocks for layer 2 to fill in

On 3/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Danger zone meaning it's really high? So by adding CC you're making the GH even higher. 

On 3/4/2023 at 12:02 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

This will also work just by using pea gravel. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2023 at 3:14 PM, Lennie said:

No clue what article you are mentioning. The site automatically links to aquarium coop site.

Sorry about that, I copied part of the article I'm talking about 
on my last comment I sent you.

On 3/4/2023 at 3:02 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

If you read the article I put on here you'd see what I mean 

if you get the right amount in there, then you will be creating the perfect
environmental conditions for your fish. 
it is one of the easiest ways to start to tinker with your water chemistry.

bottom layer  level 1 substrate >Nickle size rocks for layer 2 to fill in

👍 This is what I found on using crush coral (Above) 

On 3/4/2023 at 3:38 PM, knee said:

Danger zone meaning it's really high? So by adding CC you're making the GH even higher. 

This will also work just by using pea gravel. 

Not from what I heard from Cory in last Sundays live I just listened to while draining 
out the tank for 1 & a 1/2 hrs.

There's a bit of a mix of ideas here. Let's break things down and try to reach some solid advice for what you're asking.

On 3/4/2023 at 12:38 PM, knee said:
On 3/4/2023 at 12:02 PM, Flying fox 6523 said:

Expand  

This will also work just by using pea gravel

Using gravel to trap particles for plants is more aptly about CEC value or substrate and something like eco complete or seachem flourite might be a better tool for what you're wanting. Not only will those trap food, but also will trap ions from the water and fertilizer that the plants need.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:33 AM, Flying fox 6523 said:
On 3/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

I would find it difficult to say there is a "danger zone", but the reason Miller is asking the actual number value is because of the knowledge he has and the ability he has to guide you on the right path. His tanks are gorgeous and he definitely does a wonderful job of balancing nutrients.

What is a bit wonky in my situation is that I have unlimited GH, but very low KH. Once GH is above a certain number I just stop caring. Plants do what plants do and obviously it isn't perfect. If the GH is off the chart you can dilute it by doing WCs with RO water. In the same token you can use something like dilution to dilute the water sample and test to get a better idea of the value of your GH.

In my view, and the reason that I bring up my water is that GH does not tell you nearly enough. Knowing only GH is like knowing only TDS. There's "stuff" in the water, but it's difficult to know what it specifically is. This is where plant deficiency guides, specific test kits for plant nutrients come in handy.

Again, what is the GH value? What is your KH and PH values as well? What is your dosing regimen? How much, how often?  Even knowing water changes is very helpful when you're discussing use of CC.

Let's figure it out!

Edited by nabokovfan87
fixed autocorrect
  • Like 1

I think the OP was asking whether it would be okay to just use the crushed coral as a layer of substrate in place of another substrate, since they already own the crushed coral and it would save money on buying more substrate.

Not wanting to change the pH and not minding if pH changes, perhaps? Just wanting to keep plants planted.

That was my interpretation-- @Flying fox 6523 if I am wrong just ignore me!      . The problem with using CC as "just a substrate" is that it will dissolve. So if you used an inch of crushed coral as part of a 3-inch deep gravel bed, eventually you would only have 2 inches of gravel left, because the coral would dissolve. How soon it would dissolve depends on your pH. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 4:49 PM, PineSong said:

I think the OP was asking whether it would be okay to just use the crushed coral as a layer of substrate in place of another substrate, since they already own the crushed coral and it would save money on buying more substrate.

Not wanting to change the pH and not minding if pH changes, perhaps? Just wanting to keep plants planted.

Mine as well.  🙂

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 7:49 PM, PineSong said:

That was my interpretation-- @Flying fox 6523 if I am wrong just ignore me!      . The problem with using CC as "just a substrate" is that it will dissolve. So if you used an inch of crushed coral as part of a 3-inch deep gravel bed, eventually you would only have 2 inches of gravel left, because the coral would dissolve. How soon it would dissolve depends on your pH. 

That's basically right >"Not wanting to change the pH and not minding if pH changes,
perhaps? Just wanting to keep plants planted.
" Being it's all been mixed together &
hard to separate your right again >"an inch of crushed coral as part of a 3-inch
deep gravel bed,
" If it dissolves over time that's alright too But what I'm looking at 
right now has me excited that I'm glad I  changed it up cause it looks a lot better.

Just wanting to keep plants planted. that was part of the idea & to have a more 
different look to the tank & where the muck would work it's way down to the roots 
cause the sand wasn't letting it get to the roots so I had to change it where it could.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 1:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

There's a bit of a mix of ideas here. Let's break things down and try to reach some solid advice for what you're asking.

Using gravel to trap particles for plants is more aptly about CEC value or substrate and something like eco complete or seachem flourite might be a better tool for what you're wanting. Not only will those trap food, but also will trap ions from the water and fertilizer that the plants need.

I would find it difficult to say there is a "danger zone", but the reason Miller is asking the actual number value is because of the knowledge he has and the ability he has to guide you on the right path. His tanks are gorgeous and he definitely does a wonderful job of balancing nutrients.

What is a bit wonky in my situation is that I have unlimited GH, but very low KH. Once GH is above a certain number I just stop caring. Plants do what plants do and obviously it isn't perfect. If the GH is off the chart you can dilute it by doing WCs with RO water. In the same token you can use something like dilution to dilute the water sample and test to get a better idea of the value of your GH.

In my view, and the reason that I bring up my water is that GH does not tell you nearly enough. Knowing only GH is like knowing only TDS. There's "stuff" in the water, but it's difficult to know what it specifically is. This is where plant deficiency guides, specific test kits for plant nutrients come in handy.

Again, what is the GH value? What is your KH and PH values as well? What is your dosing regimen? How much, how often?  Even knowing water changes is very helpful when you're discussing use of CC.

Let's figure it out!

I just found your comment, I do a 50% wc every other week I dose ever green once a month 
I feed the fish everyday but just enough to keep them hunting for food, with everything 
I feed them you'd think I was over feeding but I crush it all up & mix it together.

This is everything I feed my fish blood worm, shrimp pellets & freeze dried,
tubifex worms, algae wafers, tropical flakes, I put this in a blender & crush it, mix it &
put it in a clean clear jar with a lid & each time they get fed they get a pinch X 2 a day.

I don't worry about the small stuff chasing water chemistry, cause I've heard from 
a lot of fish keepers say it's a rabbit hole of problems you really don't need to 
worry about, when you can raise plant's with NOTHING in the water no fertilizers 
no kh-gh-no substrate no dirt gravel just plain water in a tank with fish so if you 
want to know who it is it's LRB, so if he has his tanks looking good & growing plant's 
without chasing water chemistry I'm sure I can give it a shot with the fertilizer & fish.

• Like 1