Emulating AC's light's color on a Finnex Planted+ ?

walruseggman

Hi,

Wondered if anyone had both an Aquarium Coop light and a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 and would be willing to determine the WRBG settings on the Planted+ that most closely emulate the AC light's colors?

I need a new light and am confident the AC light is great. But i've never had a non-color-adjustable light and just wondered if I could get a sense of how the light would look before ordering and potentially disliking the color. 

Thanks!

On 3/3/2023 at 1:05 PM, walruseggman said:

Wondered if anyone had both an Aquarium Coop light and a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 and would be willing to determine the WRBG settings on the Planted+ that most closely emulate the AC light's colors?

Finex planted looks like it's 8000K in terms of color temp.  I can't find a spectrum chart.

The Finnex HLC series is the slimmest series yet solidly built in a eye catching aluminum hood. Featuring a unique four bulb cluster of 8, 000K Daylight, Red, Blue, and green LEDs - the HLC series supports all types of plant growth along with making the fish within one's aquarium Stand out.

AC Light is 5700K
Fluval planted is 6500K (used to be 7500K)

To give you an idea on the difference/swing this is a good visual: (obviously an edited / computer filtered image)

image.png.76d791e1e07b380003e1f10a1fab3973.png

I've tried taking one of my fluval lights side by side with the exact same one that is a different size and they have their own discrepancy just due to when the lights were manufactured and the age/wear on the LEDs.

I have an aquasky I tried to match to my fluval (make it less bright white) and it was a big failure.  the only thing that came close was turning off all of the white LEDs and using only the color LEDs, reducing the par by a massive amount.

Ultimately, yeah it would be nice to replicate another fixture using the dials, but at it's core white varies so much that it's difficult!

• Administrators
On 3/3/2023 at 3:57 PM, Pepere said:

I just looked at various Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 lights.

they seem to be cheaper than the co op planted light.  

just curious why you might be interested in the co op light instead of the planted plus?

Have you experienced short lifespan with the finnex planted plus?  The water integrity of the co op light would interest me, but the lack of the sunrise sunset and ability to alter color rendering is too much of a loss for me to consider it myself…

24/7 finnex lights are much less light output than our lights. Also less efficient energy wise. That would be 2 reasons, there are more as well, but it won't do sunrise/sunset as that is not a feature we wanted to include.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:57 PM, Pepere said:

I just looked at various Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 lights.

they seem to be cheaper than the co op planted light.  

just curious why you might be interested in the co op light instead of the planted plus?

Have you experienced short lifespan with the finnex planted plus?  The water integrity of the co op light would interest me, but the lack of the sunrise sunset and ability to alter color rendering is too much of a loss for me to consider it myself…

I have a finnex 24/7 light on one of my tanks and I hate it. Only being able to change the light setting in 3 hour increments is incredibly inconvenient. The light also doesn't have an adjustable clock, so you literally can only set the light to the correct time during a one minute window once every three hours. The system for adjusting the light is also super annoying because you have to count each time you press the button to know what the intensity is for that color. Also the mounting system kinda sucks. I personally wouldn't recommend their 24/7 lights to anyone.