2 very Radom questions I have 😆

FishyGirl

How should I introduce fish to the tank, should I get a breed of fish add them to the tank wait a week and go back and get another breed, or should I introduce all my fish to the tank at one? What is your recommended process? 

Do I have to worry about Kuhli loaches eating any other fish in the tank 

oh and do you have any recommendations on a big show stopping fish to put in a community tank

thanks fishygirl

On 3/1/2023 at 9:05 PM, FishyGirl said:

How should I introduce fish to the tank, should I get a breed of fish add them to the tank wait a week and go back and get another breed, or should I introduce all my fish to the tank at one? What is your recommended process? 

It really, really depends on what fish you're talking about for me.  I tend to introduce things based on where they swim and how they behave.  For instance, I don't really want to introduce "food" to an aggressive fish and end up with something chasing fish right away.  In the same token, I want to have dither fish with certain other fish at the same time so they compliment one another.  Some fish, like corydoras it really doesn't matter and they are going to do their own thing.

Most often, the tank boss / centerpiece fish is last. Let everyone get settled, then the tank boss will go in and pick their spot, causing the other fish to adjust and understand the mindset of the bigger, scarier fish.

The best answer here is "it depends" so first we need more info. In general it is best to introduce 1 type of fish at a time yes. This is mainly due to the bioload building. The order you put them in depends on what all different things. I have some questions to help me better assist you. 

1.  What size tank?

2.  How long has it been setup and/or cycling?

3.  What are you planning on stocking it with?

4.  Do you plan on having live plants?  If so how many?

In regards to the kuhli loaches, no they will not eat other fish but they will eat smaller snails. 

• Like 1

It is a 75 gallon

when I get my tank it will have been cycling for 3 weeks before I add fish 

varieties of dainos, some tetras a center piece fish which I haven’t figured out yet, if any in mind I am open to suggestions on the center piece fish and Kuhli loaches and mystery snails

i will be putting in 3 live plants

thanks for the advice!

I have a soft spot for honey gourami. Beautiful, graceful, and those long feelers of theirs are reall cool! Probably a larger gourami would look amazing in your tank. My honey gourami resides in a 20 gallon. 😉

20230224_223742.jpg

On 3/2/2023 at 9:21 PM, FishyGirl said:

varieties of dainos, some tetras a center piece fish which I haven’t figured out yet, if any in mind I am open to suggestions on the center piece fish and Kuhli loaches and mystery snails

Keep in mind that most danios want cooler waters than most tetras.  I only mention it as a means of saying further research might be required for your list.  Deciding which route you want to go with temp would help to better determine the focus / centerpiece of the tank.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=aquarium+coop+cooler+water+species

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:30 PM, smm333 said:

I have a soft spot for honey gourami. Beautiful, graceful, and those long feelers of theirs are reall cool! Probably a larger gourami would look amazing in your tank. My honey gourami resides in a 20 gallon. 😉

20230224_223742.jpg

I have wanted one of these for so long, but cannot find one anywhere. 😟

On 3/3/2023 at 8:21 AM, FishyGirl said:

when I get my tank it will have been cycling for 3 weeks before I add fish 

If you are not planning to introduce an established filter, or any sort of live bacteria, your tank is unlikely to "cycle" in 3 weeks. You should monitor that one with constant testing, and you will need an ammonia source if you want to do a fishless cycle.

On 3/3/2023 at 8:21 AM, FishyGirl said:

In a 75g, I would do a tiger barb tank. A good group of them. they look amazing, super active and lots of character. Greens and golds look amazing as well! And if I am not wrong, all will school together as they are all tiger barbs. IF you want different colors, something you may consider. They all look like centerpiece fish themself.

I'm not sure how they would go with kuhlis tho. @nabokovfan87 may have an opinion as he kept them before.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:50 PM, Miranda Marie said:

I have wanted one of these for so long, but cannot find one anywhere. 😟

I was so excited to find them at my lfs. Sometimes they have them, sometimes they don't.  They have several other large linds that are also beautiful,  but I have small tanks, so I just ogel them when I am in the store! 

• Like 1

M mixI add fish is in groups, so if I want a new school of something I get six then a few weeks later if the tank is stable I add another six.

Depending on the set out up you are building your tanks bacteria level which is based on how much feed as much as it is how many fish in there. So basically slow and steady wins.

I have a school of 18 cardinal neons and another school of 12 harlequin rasboras in my community tank both group where done in stages of 6 and a few weeks apart. 

This lets the tank develope with the additions and hopefully avoid a crash