Beginner planted tank questions - Lights, Substrate etc.

Hi all,

I'm currently planning out everything I need to setup my first aquarium, which I'm planning on having planted with beginner plants.

I think I've decided on the Fluval Roma 125, since it's programmable lighting really appeals to me, over something like a Juwel Rio. However I'm assuming that the 10W aquasky light that comes with the tank would be insufficient for the plants? I was planning on using plants specifically rated for low to medium light (Vallisneria, Amazon Sword, Hydrocotyle, Anubias etc.), but I was still thinking of supplementing the included light with a second aquasky, probably the 21W model. Would this be enough to grow the easier plants? (FYI I don't plan on using Co2 for now)

Secondly, I've been spending a long time deciding what kind of substrate to use in my tank. I know you can grow root plants in gravel, but I really want to futureproof my tank for corydoras since I'd love to get some at some point, and apparently sand is far better for them. However I've heard and read in plenty of places that it's hard to grow plants in sand since it's so compacted. So since corys love planted tanks, what exactly are people using to get aquariums with lush plants and corydoras?

I was also planning on adding root tabs to whatever substrate I end up going with, and I assume this would be sufficient to fertilize it for whatever rooting plants are in there. Fertilized substrates like Fluval Stratum seems hideously expensive (at least in the UK) so I'd like to avoid that sort of thing if at all possible, especially considering how much I'll need for the tank.

Sorry this is a bit long winded, but I really want to have some confidence in my choices before I start throwing money around. Any knowledge you can share will certainly be a big help, and will definitely help me sleep at night!

i dont know much of the lighting.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:34 PM, Gartcreature said:

Secondly, I've been spending a long time deciding what kind of substrate to use in my tank. I know you can grow root plants in gravel, but I really want to futureproof my tank for corydoras since I'd love to get some at some point, and apparently sand is far better for them. However I've heard and read in plenty of places that it's hard to grow plants in sand since it's so compacted. So since corys love planted tanks, what exactly are people using to get aquariums with lush plants and corydoras?

you know what i use for cories and plants? standard aquarium gravel. just make sure its not sharp and the cories should be fine.

On 2/28/2023 at 7:34 PM, Gartcreature said:

I was also planning on adding root tabs to whatever substrate I end up going with, and I assume this would be sufficient to fertilize it for whatever rooting plants are in there. Fertilized substrates like Fluval Stratum seems hideously expensive (at least in the UK) so I'd like to avoid that sort of thing if at all possible, especially considering how much I'll need for the tank.

things like statum have their own quirks to them (more then just cost). when you are looking for root tabs, be sure to avoid any that use Osmocode and or Ammonia as the nitrogen source, you can probably guess that introducing ammonia to your tank is not such a good idea. i dont know what's availble in the UK,i use the ACO ones but i know you cant get them there.

@Flumpweeselhave you found a good root tab in the UK?

• Like 1

You'll need to observe the plants for a few weeks to determine if you're gonna need another light.  Some plants will do better than others and it's just a matter of getting what works for your tank. I have no experience with that light but I've seen a few people set them up with the stock light and was able to get good results with less demanding plants.

You can use pool filter sand or just find sand that's a bigger grain size to prevent compaction. I've only seen compaction when using playsand.

I've grown plants in just sand supplemented by liquid ferts, in sand with aquasoil underneath and with pure aquasoil. I'd avoid adding root tabs if you're gonna use aquasoil. Also, most aquasoil brands would release ammonia in the water for several weeks.

I'd also suggest not to use root tabs in the beginning and just use liquid ferts if you're gonna be using sand. Plants consume nutrients from the water and will do fine with that. 

• Like 2

I've used these under gravel and had no issues but I'm not very good at remembering to replace them so I'm no judge on how effective they are.Screenshot_2023-03-03-15-33-57-02_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg.d94d1614ea8511fd1e6b0493b38fd191.jpg

I gave fine smooth gravel and my corys are absolutely fine with it.

My planted tanks are full of anubias and Java fern (I more than I can cope with). I do have a few Amazon swords, Val and some stem plants (name unknown) that all do fine without me adding ferts. 

My lighting is pretty basic and just on timer for about 6 hrs a day. 

Edited by Flumpweesel
Added the picture

Thanks for all the replies everyone, certainly a lot to think about.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:41 AM, Theplatymaster said:

you know what i use for cories and plants? standard aquarium gravel. just make sure its not sharp and the cories should be fine.

Been hearing this more and more from people, certainly opens my options up a bit

On 3/1/2023 at 12:59 AM, knee said:

I have no experience with that light but I've seen a few people set them up with the stock light and was able to get good results with less demanding plants.

You can use pool filter sand or just find sand that's a bigger grain size to prevent compaction. I've only seen compaction when using playsand.

I've grown plants in just sand supplemented by liquid ferts, in sand with aquasoil underneath and with pure aquasoil. I'd avoid adding root tabs if you're gonna use aquasoil. Also, most aquasoil brands would release ammonia in the water for several weeks.

Cheers, this all is good to know, I'd be happy to see how the plants do and get a second light of they need a boost rather than just throwing money at it in the first place.

On 3/1/2023 at 2:45 AM, mynameisnobody said:

I’d go with the coop led light, it’s proven and basically bulletproof.

I would consider it, but they don't ship to the UK.

On 3/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, Flumpweesel said:

I've used these under gravel and had no issues but I'm not very good at remembering to replace them so I'm no judge on how effective they are.

Nice, think I'll spring for the JBLs since you've had success with them, and it's good to know you've had luck with basic lighting. 

On 2/28/2023 at 4:34 PM, Gartcreature said:

However I'm assuming that the 10W aquasky light that comes with the tank would be insufficient for the plants?

I was planning on using plants specifically rated for low to medium light (Vallisneria, Amazon Sword, Hydrocotyle, Anubias etc.), but I was still thinking of supplementing the included light with a second aquasky, probably the 21W model

Placement is good to be key. Val in the back and the light can also skew towards the back of the tank if you want. Most lids naturally cause this with hinge placement.  When it comes to most everything else the hydro will do fine as well as the anubias with just about anything, place it to the front/sides and let those plants do their thing.  The sword you'd want to be centered under the strongest part of the light as your main grower.

I'd point you towards corvus oscens video. Towards his method and reasoning. I use seachem flourite as my substrate and it compacts well for corydoras. If you're not running a sand cap, id genuinely argue it's the closest to it in terms of compaction and keeping the food at the top of the substrate where they can get it.

Some sort of active substrate below, cap it with fluorite of whichever color would be my method. You could further cap that with the fluorite sand if you wish.

Makes sense for sure.

Hopefully the above details get you on the right path.

• 2 weeks later...

An experiment was do by a former member and posted by me about Substrates and root grow. You can search for it. I have pea gravel that has smooth edges in my Cory breed tank. They seem to do fine and produce well. I saw pool filter sand mentioned if you use it 2 things it’s on the fine side and sift it because it tend to come with some junk in it. BDBS works well. The corys like it. I like that it’s black instead of white like the pool filter sand. Plants root well in it but until they get well rooted the can be moved a little if you have big bottom fish like larger plecos. I used to do the whole program ing thing be now it the light will grow plants and it turn of and on I’m good. I have all 22 tanks on a smart plug like system so I can control all at once. Unless I have some coming over at night I don’t even use the blue/ purple lights at night. I do think the Corys on gravel is a little over blown. I think if people used some common sense in choosing a substrate that doesn’t have sharp edges you will be fine. I find that eco complete which I love has some sharp edges at first. They wear down pretty quickly though. My 2 cents