Favorite live food to feed?

Jurrian Hering

BBS and it’s not even close for my collection. My larger fish aren’t as interested, but anything 3” and smaller love BBS. My bigger guys seem interested for a second or 2 and then they loose interest. When I say bigger fish, I mean Geophagus. If I could figure out a way to blanket the substrate with BBS, the geo’s would more likely go insane. Trouble is, the BBS never has a chance to hit the floor before being munched up by other smaller inhabitants. 

• Like 1

Whiteworms, hands down for everything ember tetra size and up to adult Jack Dempsey size go absolutely crazy for them.  Grindal worms down to chili rasbora size and up to at least adult cory size or a bit more.  I don’t happen to have a lot of “between” adult fish.  I have plenty of nanofish and a few species of much larger fish, not many between other than juvies, only various cories and some plecos).  Next blackworms (for roughly same size fish as whiteworms) and Daphnia for anything that will go for Grindal worms plus a bit bigger, then microworms and vinegar eels for about ember tetra size and smaller to quite small fry (smaller than can eat BBS).

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Agree with @Odd Duck on white worms being number one and grindal worms for those kids just not big enough for white worms. 
These are my top two because fish LOVE worms and they are very easy low effort cultures. They also feed almost all my fish. I don’t have really large fish. Anything to small for these or fry I go for live BBS. 

On 3/1/2023 at 12:06 AM, mynameisnobody said:

If I could figure out a way to blanket the substrate with BBS, the geo’s would more likely go insane.

Put them in the refrigerator. They slow way down or die and do sort of blanket the floor. I do this for my corydora. 

• Like 4

Sera O nip tabs first, bbs second.

Idk what is that all about sera o nip tabs, but every fish, snail, and inverts I have kept so far go nuts whenever I drop it into the tank. Giving me a better feeding frenzy than bbs personally. I see it as a weekly treat of my fish tanks.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 1:22 PM, Lennie said:

Sera O nip tabs first, bbs second.

Idk what is that all about sera o nip tabs, but every fish, snail, and inverts I have kept so far go nuts whenever I drop it into the tank. Giving me a better feeding frenzy than bbs personally. I see it as a weekly treat of my fish tanks.

They do smell delicious!  Very sweet smell.  😆 My fish aren’t nearly that excited about them.  Maybe I just haven’t fed them often enough?  But they sure go after live foods!  Or maybe it’s the species I have - lots of tiny predators.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 11:25 PM, Odd Duck said:

They do smell delicious!  Very sweet smell.  😆 My fish aren’t nearly that excited about them.  Maybe I just haven’t fed them often enough?  But they sure go after live foods!  Or maybe it’s the species I have - lots of tiny predators.

Interesting. I've even seen even otos going crazy for the tabs!

Well no predators here. Except rummy noses predating amazon frogbit roots. 😄

My fish go crazy over it! The surely enjoy bbs, tubifex and bloodworms too 😄 I am having hard time to supply bbs lately. And my lfs has frozen food that are out of date. I fed them, they feed them to their own fish as well. No side effects as they are frozen and never thawed but I can't be sure and scared to cause any potential harm. They are not getting new frozen food sadly :')

• Like 1

I think the answer is 'it depends'.  I feed paramecium, vinegar eels, bbs and black worms. All are great options, but it depends on the size of the fish your feeding.

BBS might be too large for new born tetras. Half-grown cichlids will most likely ignore paramecium. Etc., etc.

My favorite is whatever is easy to culture and doesn't smell like death or get moldy.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I think my favorite is mosquito larvae

They're free and it's like getting a little revenge for all those camping trips...

More practically, I like daphnia and grindal worms. Daphnia are fairly simple to culture and I don't have to worry much about over feeding because they'll just live in the tank for a bit. Grindal worms are good too because they're fairly easy to keep going and put out large amounts of food.

I would look into doing your vinegar eels the same way you would do micro worms. If you Google "high density vinegar eel culture" you should be able to find how it's done. It's so much easier to collect them for feeding

On 7/25/2023 at 10:00 PM, Schuyler said:

I would look into doing your vinegar eels the same way you would do micro worms. If you Google "high density vinegar eel culture" you should be able to find how it's done. It's so much easier to collect them for feeding

Man I keep failing at this method! I have no problem culturing them in bottles of vinegar, but the bottles sure do take up a lot of space.

Oh, paramecium are easy to culture and are waaaaaaaay less smelly than infusoria cultures. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 3

On 7/27/2023 at 6:46 PM, lefty o said:

you feeding alligator gar, or catfish????🙈

Mako sharks.

I'm growing out a couple dozen of them in a ten gallon right now.   It's an impressive sight!

However, the feathers kind of block up an HOB's intake, as well as gunk up a course sponge filter really fast.

• Haha 3

On 7/27/2023 at 6:34 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Mako sharks.

I'm growing out a couple dozen of them in a ten gallon right now.   It's an impressive sight!

However, the feathers kind of block up an HOB's intake, as well as gunk up a course sponge filter really fast.

got to pluck them first! 😜

• Haha 1