How does this bucket filter work?

Waterlife

.... Huh. It doesn't look very efficient but I'm a novice when it comes to diy filters. I'm assuming the water comes in through the end with the joints and comes out through the end with the valve? It doesn't seem like the water would spend very much time being pushed through the filter media but I could be wrong. Every bucket filter I've seen has had the flow coming out at a different level than the intake so you can control where the debris goes/how much of it comes out and having the pipes around the same level strikes me as odd. 

Anyone with more experience than me feel free to chime in!

Looks like it was designed for a bigger tank as an additional filter. Never had any experience with k2 media/fluidized bed filter but always thought it was interesting. 

I think it overflows from the left and the right tube is connected to a pump on the right side to suck the water, or there's a pump connected to the left side and pushes water in and it overflows to the right.

I just can't see how it'll move the k2 media inside. The holes drilled on the pipe inside the bucket are really small and there's a lot of them, and that'll greatly reduce the flow coming in the bucket.