What condition does this cory fry have?

Jaspyjasp

Hello Community,

I’m raising some cory fry and noticed this little guy has a type of deformity? His belly is very swollen and he tips over a lot. Also seems to have a hunch back and underdeveloped fins, maybe a squished face? 

He is eating and swimming okay. I just wanted to know if anyone else has seen anything like this before? Pics attached. I wish i could attach a video but it won’t let me 😕 Thank you for any insight!

A9F5F3D3-D956-4F85-B266-B88E8292607C.jpeg

F03B5E6E-811B-4642-B087-18C5C7F1B94A.jpeg

872F5EBC-C175-45F9-8CDF-5AEC24859A8D.jpeg

You can attach a video by uploading it to YouTube and linking it here. 

Since I stopped hatching my eggs in a breeder box I haven't been able to observe cory fry this young much anymore. That's one downside to the easier method I am now doing. I have been breeding panda cories for about a year and a half now and have never seen a fry deformed this way. I have seen some other deformities but not like this. 

I would be interested to see how it moved if you upload a video. 

• Like 1

It looks very young which means it may have still been attached to the egg yolk. Is that possible what the "swelling" was?  They do start more round and lengthen out very quickly, like in 1-2 days. 

This picture is a great example. The fry in front is hours old. The fry behind is about 1 day old. Already it's gained some length and a stripe. These are panda fry. They grow very fast the first few days while feeding on the egg yolk. 

20220408_163854.jpg

Closer look maybe it is too old to have an egg yolk. What species of cory is this again?  Do you happen to know the age in half days like if it hatched morning or night even. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:17 PM, Cinnebuns said:

It looks very young which means it may have still been attached to the egg yolk. Is that possible what the "swelling" was?  They do start more round and lengthen out very quickly, like in 1-2 days. 

This picture is a great example. The fry in front is hours old. The fry behind is about 1 day old. Already it's gained some length and a stripe. These are panda fry. They grow very fast the first few days while feeding on the egg yolk. 

20220408_163854.jpg

Closer look maybe it is too old to have an egg yolk. What species of cory is this again?  Do you happen to know the age in half days like if it hatched morning or night even. 

@Cinnebuns

These are Venezuelan Cory, or red sailfin cory. I’m sure hatchling growth is the same probably. But this guy is over a week old!! The swelling seems to be going down, but it was just so weird! It’s starting to look more normal. I uploaded the video for you on YT.

Edited by Jaspyjasp