Favorite foods for bristlenose fry?

memorywrangler

I purchased some bristlenose fry at an auction, and they are eating ok, but not great.  They are about 1.5".

I'm growing them out with some some other fry who devour BBS, grindle worms, and moina, but the bristlenose don't seem to excited about anything:  they'll nibble on frozen blood worms, algae wafers, and a piece of driftwood, but I'd like to see them eating better.

Any suggestions?

IMG_2748.JPG

Edited by memorywrangler

My fry and adults LOVE blanched vegetables. I open fresh green beans and expose the meat removing the seeds. Zucchini, the stalk of broccoli, bell peppers (orange is usually the most liked pepper) and almost all veggies. 
Almond leaves are great. They like the biofilm that grows on them. Repashy is always a favorite. Good luck with your new kiddos. 

• Like 2

That is a Ancistirus Wabenmuster; and they can easily run $40+; having said that i make an effort to not feed mine anything special - cept twice a week i do put in some zucchini which they love. Sadly they aren't really into sharing these days which is a bit of a problem (I have some other pleco like fishes in the aquarium). hikari algae wafers work i guess (I have them); but they really love that zucchini which i plucked in there well washed but otherwise raw (I slice it down the middle so they can eat the meat; they don't love the skin but the l204 comes back at night and eats the skin. Oh one other thing i occasionally feed them is sweet potato; which has the advantage that it can be left in the aquarium more than 24 hours without causing issues - they seem to like that also - could never get them to eat carrots or lettuce. I got mine around 1 inch they are now around 2 1/2 inch after nearly 6 months.

On 3/7/2023 at 6:43 PM, memorywrangler said:

Huh!  That's cool.  I paid ~$3/each for 5.

Thanks for feeding tips.

Yea i figured you got them cheap so thought i would add that tidbit; they are basically interesting coloured bn; more interesting than some of the other colouring. They do require a bit of protein and mine love catfish or shrimp pellets (i've mostly feed them catfish pellets from omega-one); the only thing i dislike about them is like most bn they can get a bit snappy when it comes to sharing - i once had an epic fight between a bn pleco and upside down catfish (and it was the bn's fault being a greedy little bugger).