A Wild Newbie Appears!

BeeGryphon

Hello all! I'm new to both the hobby and the forum, although I've been lurking for a few weeks. Figured it was time to actually get on here and introduce myself!

I've vaguely thought about keeping fish for some years but I went into [big box chain store] to pick up some dried bugs for my carnivorous plants and ended up staring at the betta wall for a good 10 minutes. After that I did a lot of reading, including Aquarium Co-op's blog, and finally decided to go for it! I did a search for local aquarium shops near me and low and behold, Aquarium Co-op is a 30 minute drive! Serendipity! The physical store was fantastic, the blog is amazing, and I've loved lurking on the forum so far. It makes me feel way more confident knowing I have somewhere to reach out if I run into any problems or concerns.

Anyway! I got my tank (10gal) planted on Saturday 😊 I'm planning on a community tank with a betta, some ember tetra, and some pygmy corycats. And maybe a snail?

IMG_20230227_174743079.jpg.ddb3ad5c6077038f4425a72c6f0e0a39.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 2/27/2023 at 11:24 PM, BeeGryphon said:

Hello all! I'm new to both the hobby and the forum, although I've been lurking for a few weeks. Figured it was time to actually get on here and introduce myself!

I've vaguely thought about keeping fish for some years but I went into [big box chain store] to pick up some dried bugs for my carnivorous plants and ended up staring at the betta wall for a good 10 minutes. After that I did a lot of reading, including Aquarium Co-op's blog, and finally decided to go for it! I did a search for local aquarium shops near me and low and behold, Aquarium Co-op is a 30 minute drive! Serendipity! The physical store was fantastic, the blog is amazing, and I've loved lurking on the forum so far. It makes me feel way more confident knowing I have somewhere to reach out if I run into any problems or concerns.

Anyway! I got my tank (10gal) planted on Saturday 😊 I'm planning on a community tank with a betta, some ember tetra, and some pygmy corycats. And maybe a snail?

IMG_20230227_174743079.jpg.ddb3ad5c6077038f4425a72c6f0e0a39.jpg

Welcome aboard! I love the greens. We're here to encourage you on this journey. You are certainly well supplied for your first go-around. 

• Like 1

ember tetras and pygmy cories should be fine, the snail will probably work, but it depends on the type of snail, and temperament of the betta.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:01 PM, Schuyler said:

Hey another washingtonian! Welcome!

You're in good company here. If you're in Seattle you should consider joining the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS). Or at least you could come to the auction in April. It's pretty fun to see all the stuff people bring.

I work in Seattle but I live further north than Edmonds so it's a bit of a commute, and the meetings are kind of late for that kind of commute (even longer out of commuter hours) on a work night, so I likely won't be going to those. I might check out an auction though!

On 2/28/2023 at 3:47 AM, Theplatymaster said:

ember tetras and pygmy cories should be fine, the snail will probably work, but it depends on the type of snail, and temperament of the betta.

Yeah, I've read a lot of things that go "Here are good snails to keep with bettas!" and then a lot of other things that go "Do not keep [those same snails] with betta!" It seems a lot with betta fish depends on the individual fish, which makes sense. I think snails, aquatic or terrestrial, are cool little dudes so I'd love to have one or two, but I definitely don't want them getting nibbled at and picked on.

On 2/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, BeeGryphon said:

the meetings are kind of late for that kind of commute (even longer out of commuter hours) on a work night, so I likely won't be going to those. I might check out an auction though!

I totally get that. I haven't been to any meetings either. I'm down in Olympia, the odds of making it to Queen Anne by 7 on a work night are basically zero...

The other thing about the club is that you get a discount at most of the LFSs in the area (including ACO)

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:22 PM, BeeGryphon said:

I work in Seattle but I live further north than Edmonds so it's a bit of a commute, and the meetings are kind of late for that kind of commute (even longer out of commuter hours) on a work night, so I likely won't be going to those. I might check out an auction though!

Yeah, I've read a lot of things that go "Here are good snails to keep with bettas!" and then a lot of other things that go "Do not keep [those same snails] with betta!" It seems a lot with betta fish depends on the individual fish, which makes sense. I think snails, aquatic or terrestrial, are cool little dudes so I'd love to have one or two, but I definitely don't want them getting nibbled at and picked on.

I haven't kept bettas but I've had a few of their cousins the gouramis who can be a little *ahem* snail-curious. I've had mostly positive experiences with nerite snails. They keep their tasty-looking eye stalks and feelers pretty close to their shell so they're a lot tougher target than e.g. a mystery or rabbit snail. They can't reproduce in freshwater but if you happen to get a female she might lay little sesame seed-like eggs on tank surfaces.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:22 PM, BeeGryphon said:

but I definitely don't want them getting nibbled at and picked on.

i really like Mini Ramshorn snails, they will start a large colony as long as they can get food, and I find mine fun to watch (though it takes a month or two for them to get their population started) they are also rather small, so you can keep a large group of them with the other fish.

I have an adult Betta splendens who is a notorious snail eater when it comes to ramshorns and pond snails, but doesn't bother the nerite snail (that I have observed). My juvenile splendens doesn't seem interested in snails at all.

I will caution you to feel for any sharp edges on your hard pieces. My plakat betta tore his fin on a piece of driftwood and I felt terrible!

• Like 1

Welcome!!

but I went into [big box chain store] to pick up some dried bugs for my carnivorous plants and ended up staring at the betta wall for a good 10 minutes.

Oh heavens, this is what happened to me.

I've been out of the hobby since 2004-ish, went into my LFS to pick up something super expensive for my doggo, and ended up staring at one Neon Tetra.

I swear it was like a physical "thing" took over my brain.
Like an ex smoker taking a hit off a cigarette I just HAD to have a pack of Neon Tetras.
I've had chickens, goats, worked with cows, but I cannot keep them here, and I MISS my little fish friends. 

From then on it was a race to find used equipment, (all my old aquarium stuff is in Northern NYS) and dust off my nets.

WELCOME to the Wet Side!

Edit: your tank is looking good!

Edited by Sharon M
add some text
  • Like 1

Looking good there . I have a betta with four nerites , two zebra and two tigers . The tigers are prettier . I also have embers and neons and a pleco , he never bothers them .  Put the other fish in before the betta . Worked for me . 

Edited by GCH

On 2/28/2023 at 11:48 PM, drewzero1 said:

I haven't kept bettas but I've had a few of their cousins the gouramis who can be a little *ahem* snail-curious. I've had mostly positive experiences with nerite snails. They keep their tasty-looking eye stalks and feelers pretty close to their shell so they're a lot tougher target than e.g. a mystery or rabbit snail. They can't reproduce in freshwater but if you happen to get a female she might lay little sesame seed-like eggs on tank surfaces.

On 3/1/2023 at 12:30 PM, GCH said:

Looking good there . I have a betta with four nerites , two zebra and two tigers . The tigers are prettier . I also have embers and neons and a pleco , he never bothers them .  Put the other fish in before the betta . Worked for me . 

On 3/1/2023 at 10:34 AM, SwampSunflower said:

I have an adult Betta splendens who is a notorious snail eater when it comes to ramshorns and pond snails, but doesn't bother the nerite snail (that I have observed). My juvenile splendens doesn't seem interested in snails at all.

I will caution you to feel for any sharp edges on your hard pieces. My plakat betta tore his fin on a piece of driftwood and I felt terrible!

Happy to see people have had good experiences with nerites and betta! I think their patterns are really cool!

And thank you for mentioning that! I knew to check with decorations and rocks and stuff but for some reason didn't really consider that I would need to check the wood. I will definitely be doing so before my betta goes in!

On 3/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, Theplatymaster said:

i really like Mini Ramshorn snails, they will start a large colony as long as they can get food, and I find mine fun to watch (though it takes a month or two for them to get their population started) they are also rather small, so you can keep a large group of them with the other fish.

Oh that's cool! Didn't know they'd make colonies like that!

On 3/1/2023 at 10:41 AM, Sharon M said:

Welcome!!

Oh heavens, this is what happened to me.

I've been out of the hobby since 2004-ish, went into my LFS to pick up something super expensive for my doggo, and ended up staring at one Neon Tetra.

I swear it was like a physical "thing" took over my brain.
Like an ex smoker taking a hit off a cigarette I just HAD to have a pack of Neon Tetras.
I've had chickens, goats, worked with cows, but I cannot keep them here, and I MISS my little fish friends. 

From then on it was a race to find used equipment, (all my old aquarium stuff is in Northern NYS) and dust off my nets.

WELCOME to the Wet Side!

Edit: your tank is looking good!

Same on the taking over my brain part. That's not unusual for me and one of the reasons I read about keeping fish for a while before buying anything, a lot of times planning for whatever takes hold of my brain is enough to make it let go. When I'd been reading for a few weeks and still really wanted to do it, then I decided to do it. Part of it is definitely that it's been a while since we've had any animals since we had to put our dog to sleep (very sad but she was old and it was the right thing to do). Fish are good because I'm not home for a big part of the day now so it can't really have something that will need lots of attention every day. And they're just cool!

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 10:29 PM, BeeGryphon said:

Same on the taking over my brain part. That's not unusual for me and one of the reasons I read about keeping fish for a while before buying anything, a lot of times planning for whatever takes hold of my brain is enough to make it let go. When I'd been reading for a few weeks and still really wanted to do it, then I decided to do it. Part of it is definitely that it's been a while since we've had any animals since we had to put our dog to sleep (very sad but she was old and it was the right thing to do). Fish are good because I'm not home for a big part of the day now so it can't really have something that will need lots of attention every day. And they're just cool!

Interesting, I do the same thing when something grabs my attention. I'm sorry about your dog. 

You are right fish are easy for people "on the go" and they are just cool!

• 3 weeks later...

It does really depend on the betta if it will bother the nerite snail at all. some bettas dont care. but my female betta thinks that my nerites feelers are tasty worms. the nerite protects himself well enough though.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:15 AM, Sora said:

It does really depend on the betta if it will bother the nerite snail at all. some bettas dont care. but my female betta thinks that my nerites feelers are tasty worms. the nerite protects himself well enough though.

So far my nerites don't seem to really put their feelers out too far/much? Maybe they will do so more when they feel more comfortable in the tank but as of right now I'm not too worried about them. One of them also seems to really prefer munching on the underside of wood/botanicals so it should be safe regardless I'd think.