Pregnant Molly not having babies

GisheryGoodness

One of my black mollies is pregnant for the second time. I'm fairly certain she's ready to give birth but won't and I think the one male is stressing her out and will not leave her alone even with multiple spots to hide he relentlessly follows her. Now she's starting to swim kinda vertically like with her head down tail up, not constantly yet but I'm very worried. My quarantine tank is sort of occupied with baby platys and accidental snails that I missed a clutch until they're big enough to go to lfs so I don't have a spare tank. I do have my 29 gallon tank with platys and a female betta that has same parameters but live plants.  would it stress her out more to move her there with maybe more hiding places and no one following her or maybe move the boy out instead? Or is there something else to do I'm a bit freaked that she's going to die or something. 

Tank is 55 gallon 

Parameters 

Ph 7.6

Ammonia - 0

NitrIte - 0

NitrAte - 30? btw 20 and 40

Gh - 6

Kh - 5

Temp 78

Stocking 

5 serpae tetra

6 black skirt tetras

4 julii corys

1 angelfish

4 mollies 3f 1m

1 bristlenose pleco

20230227_195348.jpg

20230227_195346.jpg

20230227_195351.jpg

I actually have an opposite comment to the rest. I do NOT recommend isolating or removing a pregnant female unless you are highly experienced and only worried about maximizing yield or in specific situations. Instead, move the male. Make sure you provide her plenty of hiding spots, especially near the top. Turn the lights low and give her space. Try not to watch too much. You are trying to lower her stress as much as possible. She is holding them in because of stress. Moving her or isolating her will just increase her stress. If another fish other than the male starts harassing her remove that one too. Its a much better option to remove the fish harassing her than to remove her. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2023 at 10:31 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I actually have an opposite comment to the rest. I do NOT recommend isolating or removing a pregnant female unless you are highly experienced and only worried about maximizing yield or in specific situations. Instead, move the male. Make sure you provide her plenty of hiding spots, especially near the top. Turn the lights low and give her space. Try not to watch too much. You are trying to lower her stress as much as possible. She is holding them in because of stress. Moving her or isolating her will just increase her stress. If another fish other than the male starts harassing her remove that one too. Its a much better option to remove the fish harassing her than to remove her. 

Sorry that I'm just now getting back to this. I did end up moving the bully fish and added some more hiding spots but it didn't seem to do any good, she died a couple days later. I guess the stress had just already built up too much for her. I feel like it was my fault somehow. 

This hobby has some harsh consequences. I have killed more fish with mistakes than I care to think about but there's something I like to tell myself and others in this situation. You did not fail. You had a learning experience that will make you better for the next fish. As long as you learned and improve yourself for next time, then it was a worthwhile experience. The only reason I knew what answer to give is because of the mistakes (learning opportunities) I have had in the past and have seen others make. We do the best we can with the information we have at the time. Once we gain more information we can do better the next time!