Things to look for when buying fish on Aquabid?

Tedrock

@Tedrock I usually browse even when I’m not shopping for fish because it familiarizes me with the sellers and what they carry. Always check the feedback section, this is a must. Also look for keywords, for example, if I’m looking for rainbow fish, sellers that state they got the original stock from Gary Lange or Heiko Blair will have my undivided attention over a rainbow ad without those names. It’s a very reputable place and although shady stuff creeps itself into everything, personally, I’ve only had excellent transactions for some pretty rare fish. Once you develop a knack for who the great sellers are, it may put a damper on the LFS experience, just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Agree with @mynameisnobody here. Good points.

I like to see that a seller has thought things through and is very communicative. This does not necessarily mean that their stock is better or their aquaculture skills are superior to others; but it generally means that they are interested in successfully moving their fish into your possession. Here, for example, is a posting I made just recently. Notice the explicit expectations laid out. Unmet expectations are the source of nearly all human conflict. 

This sale is for: [A ] two pairs of 5-month-old Nothobranchius guentheri, and [B] their collected eggs in peat, ready to wet immediately (02-28-2023). These killis are a tank-raised line, hatched and raised in my water. Photos display them nearing full adult coloration. They have been spawning for several months together. An earlier batch of eggs has yielded already ca. 20+ fry. I ship only using USPS Priority Mail. Buyer pays the auction price plus a set shipping cost of $20.00. Packing includes custom fit styrofoam insulation, breather bags, a temperature control pack added at my discretion (heat pack in winter / cold pack in summer), and protective cushioning. I only ship within the lower 48 continental US. I ship out Mondays or Tuesdays. I reserve the right to postpone shipping if the weather / temperature / forecast between my zip code and the destination zip code provided by the buyer poses a risk to safe arrival of the fish. I accept payments via PayPal only. I do request an e-mail sent to confirm all arrangements before sending me money. It is essential that the buyer brings the box of live fish indoors immediately upon delivery. In case of DOA, I will refund cost of fish. I cannot refund shipping costs. Proof of DOA must be shared with me via e-mail within 1 hr. of my notification of the box arrival at your designated mailing address. Tank acclimation, care guide, and breeding tips are included in shipment. Send feedback and questions to: fish.folk.aquatics@gmail.com

Nothobranchiusguentheri.jpg.5c6d3290cd876fad4413ccd0237a16d8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Sellers in the US and not having to go thru a shipper. I sell on there but not near as well as fish folk. But since we are talking buying, I am will to ask if I see a fish I like but I like to see a few things. A reasonable response time which I like to less 36 hours during the week due to it most being something many of us do on the side. Straight forward answers to questions. One I always ask is water conditions the fish are raised in. I like to buy from home breeds especially with guppies and even if I could not give an exact answer in 10 minutes I could. I also ask if they are pure fresh water raised,as most imports tend not to be. Which may or may not make a difference to you. If guppies are raised in fresh water I have not really had a hard time putting them in different water perimeters. Ask about shipping and/or if they will ship they way you want. Some fish I want over night but I don’t pay overnight for guppies. I have never had a problem with guppies being shipped flat rate from Washington State to Florida. Most sellers will respond about all of it. Some may only ship overnight or 2day. I only ship over with any fish I charge over $85 a piece. For guppies I will ship us priority and still warranty. So the shipping shouldn’t be a single make or break just a factor in what you want. Most sellers know there fish pretty well and don’t like to reship or refund if fish don’t make it.  Hope that helps some. That’s what I try to ask. As a seller I may steal some of fish folks wording if he doesn’t mind. I am pretty sure I don’t sell anything he does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1