March Marimo Madness!!!

The endler guy

On 3/10/2023 at 2:54 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i saw a news article about it a while back,

but not weight wise, and maybe @Odd Duckwas only talking about Bony Fishes?

(yes FISHES is a word, Fishes, multiple type of fish.)

I just did a quick google search for “largest freshwater fish in the world”.  The stingray is mentioned but down at fifth for the Giant Freshwater Stingray, measuring nearly 15 feet across and weighing up to 1500 pounds, from Southeast Asia.  Tails up to 15 inches long.  Sixth is paddlefish with the Chinese being larger than the American species, at up to 10 feet long and so critically endangered it’s thought to possibly be extinct.  The American species gets up to 8 feet long and can weigh up to 150 pounds.  Then there’s the Giant Barb which gets to 10 feet long (the article doesn’t mention their weight).

The White Sturgeon is next at 12-20 feet and weighty nearly a ton.  Ninth is the Nile Perch maxing out at 6 feet (no weight listed).  Tenth is the Siberian Taimen getting up to 6 feet, another with no weight listed.  Seems like the writer was running out of steam.  Then finally the Bull Shark, which can get over 11 feet, again, no weight listed.

This list seems a bit arbitrary and I wouldn’t be surprised to find other lists that might shuffle the list a bit, since bullsharks can get over 11 feet and the fish at ninth and tenth only get to 6 feet.  🙄  This is why I never fully trust google!  Search, read, and verify with resources that aren’t just quoting each other over and over.

Just checked other lists and they are shuffled.  😆  This writer at least listed the scientific names and looked up the largest on record for each species, even listed lifespans.  This one puts Araimpima at third.

I did run across articles about that giant freshwater stingray caught a couple years ago, which says it’s the largest freshwater fish ever recorded but it’s only 13 feet long with the tail and 661 pounds, which is clearly not anywhere near the length or weight of the largest Beluga Sturgeon which was 23’ 7” and over 3,463 pounds.  I suspect the writer that wrote about the ray was misled and experts may have meant to say she was the largest freshwater stingray in the world.  I don’t blame the writer as there were supposedly expert ichthyologists quoted as saying she was the largest on record, but there’s nothing in that article that mentions the sturgeons at all.

https://wildlifeinformer.com/largest-freshwater-fish/

Edited by Odd Duck
Typo and insert link to second list.
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 3/10/2023 at 1:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

I just did a quick google search for “largest freshwater fish in the world”.  The stingray is mentioned but down at fifth for the Giant Freshwater Stingray, measuring nearly 15 feet across and weighing up to 1500 pounds, from Southeast Asia.

If you haven't seen it.... no words to describe this one.  CRAZY story.

Jeremy Wade tore the muscle in his arm during the whole thing, later explained in another episode.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, Odd Duck said:

Naw!  Not even close.  Largest freshwater fish in the world is the beluga sturgeon in Russia - nearly 24 feet long and over 3500 pounds.  White sturgeon is the largest in North America and they get 15-20 feet long and can weigh nearly a ton.

Arapaima gigas is fourth on the list, per google at 10 feet and 300 pounds from the Amazon.  Second is Mekong Giant Catfish of Southeast Asia - 10 feet and 650 pounds, third is the Alligator Gar of North America at 10 feet and 350 pounds.

Biggest fish I’ve personally seen (not in a zoo or public aquarium) was thus huge catfish (I don’t know what kind) this guy had caught with rod and reel from the Kansas River just south of Wamego.  He and his buddies had managed to get it into the bed of his tiny, 1980’s-ish pickup (I think it was one of those tiny Isuzus) and it was laying diagonal across the bed of it and lapping up both corners.  That head must have been at least 16-18” across and the thing had to be at least 6.5 feet long!  Phones didn’t have cameras back then (this was in about 1993? While I was in vet school and working at a convenience store) or I’d have proof.  I suspect he has pics but he never reported it even though I told him he should (I suspect he may have been fishing without a license or someplace he didn’t have permission to be).  I was working that night and he just had to show everybody he came across.  To say he was a little amped would be a massive understatement.  😆 

Sturgeon arent entirely freshwater fish they are anadromous so technically also Mekong giant catfish are tied with parabia (depending on who you ask and when I’m fairly certain) also gator gar “only” reach 8 feet, needless to say the size of always changes due to the circumstances of a big fish

On 3/10/2023 at 7:06 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

If you haven't seen it.... no words to describe this one.  CRAZY story.

Jeremy Wade tore the muscle in his arm during the whole thing, later explained in another episode.

Who is the real monster fish though? The ray or Jeramy!

Sorry no competitors yesterday, I was doing a science Olympiad competition all day, so we will do 4 today.

winners were arapaima and another tie! 

Edited by The endler guy
  • Like 1

First up today we have clown vs weather loach

clown loach

these are truly clowns, but did you know they are the second largest species of loach? (Largest are Royal clowns)

(Blue heart)

3D1373E6-1B8C-43FA-8C98-20A116A04402.jpeg.ab4a403e86a7445632245a8ccf615320.jpeg

weather loach also known as dojo loaches look like a giant khuli loach; but they do crazy when there is a change in barometric pressure (before it rains)

(purple trophy)

C5ADA320-8A5B-4AF0-AD70-A628819110B6.jpeg.2d0189be1c5f03db6b548ab6577e863e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Love 1

Pencil fish (blue heart)

AE6CBEE6-F8D2-4B55-9D53-77B7E53783D9.jpeg.0517e066d6ea58f0dbcb12f97d3221d5.jpeg

hatchet fish (purple trophy)

did you know that freshwater hatchet fish may be able to fly?! Not glide like flying fish but actually use their pectoral fins to flappy flap fly! Also there is a species of herring (also native to the Amazon) that have convergently evolved into the same body shape

22FD61C9-E00A-48E4-B85F-A9A3C62B5780.jpeg.c67f49f34d29e918e98a13c6606d875a.jpeg

Edited by The endler guy
Replies merged
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

On 3/12/2023 at 11:24 AM, Theplatymaster said:

this is not a very fair match, these are COMPLETELY different species, or are we on round 2 already?

The match ups are kinda random, they both are cichlids (and small ones at that) so that’s enough for me!

On 3/12/2023 at 11:28 AM, Theplatymaster said:

this is like comparing great whites, to herring.

"they are both fish"

i refuse to vote in that round.

I mean they are closely related, closer than embers vs chili rasboras

They both are also beginner/ easy to breed dwarf  cichlids  

On 3/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, The endler guy said:

I mean they are closely related, closer than embers vs chili rasboras

yes, but embers and chilis are similar species in characteristics, and care.

plenty of people keep embers and chilis in the same tank, apistos and shell dwellers:

different breeding ratios

different water parameters

different sizes

different behaviours

different temperaments,

im sorry @The endler guyyou got me on a rant.

please dont take the analogy literally.

On 3/12/2023 at 11:34 AM, Theplatymaster said:

yes, but embers and chilis are similar species in characteristics, and care.

plenty of people keep embers and chilis in the same tank, apistos and shell dwellers:

different breeding ratios

different water parameters

different sizes

different behaviours

different temperaments,

im sorry @The endler guyyou got me on a rant.

please dont take the analogy literally.

They aren’t even that different in care, you can set up a breeding colony in a 20 long. They have a unique breeding system, they have some decent sexual dimorphism, and they both are similar in difficulty 

On 3/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, Theplatymaster said:

you can put both arapaimas and platies in a 30000 gallon tank in a public aquarium, your point?

That is the minimum tank size, they both are around the same size, if we are going off that then pea puffers and mbus aren’t a good match up, when it comes down to it I just picked the fish that came to mind first

Or let’s take clown/ dojo loach one is cool water the other is hot water

On 3/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, The endler guy said:

Pencil fish (blue heart)

AE6CBEE6-F8D2-4B55-9D53-77B7E53783D9.jpeg.0517e066d6ea58f0dbcb12f97d3221d5.jpeg

hatchet fish (purple trophy)

did you know that freshwater hatchet fish may be able to fly?! Not glide like flying fish but actually use their pectoral fins to flappy flap fly! Also there is a species of herring (also native to the Amazon) that have convergently evolved into the same body shape

22FD61C9-E00A-48E4-B85F-A9A3C62B5780.jpeg.c67f49f34d29e918e98a13c6606d875a.jpeg

I love both!  Can’t choose.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Splash tetra (the species that leap out of the water to breed) 

(blue heart)

3C254977-3F39-45C1-AE07-393FDBD6CBDA.jpeg.a9f738a74207a68b3f202565660e651c.jpeg

Mangrove killi fish (they frequently leave water and are interestingly very aggressive and territorial in the water but friendly and social on land) 

(purple trophy)

0E66177C-A157-4A29-9BA9-8C7D74073EE2.jpeg.924bffb65b63300e2f3b714ec5782d5c.jpeg

(I couldn’t find photos of the other splash tetra and it’s a better fit anyway)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2