March Marimo Madness!!!

The endler guy

On 3/8/2023 at 9:51 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Late to the party. I put emojis for what I could, if I missed deadlines just ignore.  Here are the last few votes where I was ORD.

tiger shrimp
adf
mystery snail

I’m going to stick to the votes that were given on that day (unless you can’t give emojis AND YOU TELL ME!!!!) otherwise I’ll have to go back constantly and it could become a problem in the later rounds

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 5:54 AM, The endler guy said:

What did you vote for for the two frogs?

Basically do not include mine. I abstain. 🙂

On 3/8/2023 at 5:54 AM, The endler guy said:

Also I didn’t mention this but the. Votes close the next day

So even though the winners have flipped since Monday the winners when I checked at the beginning of Tuesday still remain 

I figured so! No worries at all. Maybe someone will break the tie. Who knows. 😂

On 3/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, The endler guy said:

I’m going to stick to the votes that were given on that day (unless you can’t give emojis AND YOU TELL ME!!!!) otherwise I’ll have to go back constantly and it could become a problem in the later rounds

Well yeah, I did say if I missed deadlines, ignore the comment.

• Like 1

Time for the ram showdown!!! 

Bolivian rams get a little larger and are hardier, easier to breed, and can be kept cooler, but have less extreme colors (blue heart)

D30071B3-EF54-4ECE-8E1F-91495F6E8CDE.jpeg.250a673dd543620cc62987aced238c1e.jpeg

german blue rams are smaller and a little finicky with water parameters but it’s hard to beat those colors! (Purple trophy)

25EAFB67-9516-4520-B045-86D83167DC03.jpeg.eeb5221af48b666165fe2b7f9c268324.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Boney tongue vs cyprinids, who is the real knifefish????

ghost knife fish, cyprinid, closely related to catfish, native to South America can use electricity to navigate but bad eyesight (blue heart)

851440E9-4A67-4994-BA19-AFE8703FD515.jpeg.be938305f7e3011c30b5025781e42ea3.jpeg

clown knife fish, related to arapaima and arawana a bony tongue native to Africa no electro reception but great eyesight (purple trophy)

CF6BBFAC-BA67-4FE0-8485-FC3BB2F6F039.jpeg.3ef449d94b9f3a2b82dba3e1a46228b6.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2023 at 9:50 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

@Guppysnail vote for either nerite or mystery snail to break the tie for March Madness. 

I declare this to be cruel and unusual punishment to me. No way could I only have one type. It’s guppy SNAIL after all! 

😍=BOTH 

😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

• Haha 4

two of south Americas giants, and some of every aquarists, and anglers dream fish! 

Arapaima (gigas, yes there are 3 species) possibly the largest freshwater fish, and it isnt just big, look at those colors! (blue heart)

image.jpeg.8198cfd4957e818bc44f96ddcb946745.jpeg

arawana (silver) a guppy in size compared to arapaima but still a big fish, much more reasonable monster fish (purple trophy)

image.jpeg.669e19bca562edc67649056be8ff7d20.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

if you ask the fish what size they are they will both give you the same awnser, but in reality they are a small puffer in a large puffers body and a large puffer in a small puffers body (if you can consider pure unbridled rage a puffer!)

do they even need introductions!? 

pea puffer (blue heart)

image.jpeg.4871d3cb419c1e9b53fdf027045bb39e.jpeg

Mbu puffer (purple trophy)

image.jpeg.6c50f084da8628450df9232992c8f37c.jpeg

(woops we have a photo bomber)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

winners for the first side are out! we had some really close matches! we are starting to head into lesser known/ non community fish, so even if you dont have it, still feel free to vote on which one you like more!

Also yes as I have stated previously some of the winners have changed after their round was over, I am going to go with the winner at the time, and ties will be extended an extra day then if it is still tied I decide. sorry @TheSwissAquaristyou kinda get screwed because you have a different time zone (we are running this off of est)

image.jpeg.a9674d7e4e80cbf4dde7df320a8171ec.jpeg

remember, have fun, be competitive but also be respectful 

But more importantly, this was a ploy to show that endlers are better then guppies!!!!! *evil laughter*

(just kidding...      kind of)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2023 at 6:11 AM, The endler guy said:

Arapaima (gigas, yes there are 3 species) possibly the largest freshwater fish

Naw!  Not even close.  Largest freshwater fish in the world is the beluga sturgeon in Russia - nearly 24 feet long and over 3500 pounds.  White sturgeon is the largest in North America and they get 15-20 feet long and can weigh nearly a ton.

Arapaima gigas is fourth on the list, per google at 10 feet and 300 pounds from the Amazon.  Second is Mekong Giant Catfish of Southeast Asia - 10 feet and 650 pounds, third is the Alligator Gar of North America at 10 feet and 350 pounds.

Biggest fish I’ve personally seen (not in a zoo or public aquarium) was thus huge catfish (I don’t know what kind) this guy had caught with rod and reel from the Kansas River just south of Wamego.  He and his buddies had managed to get it into the bed of his tiny, 1980’s-ish pickup (I think it was one of those tiny Isuzus) and it was laying diagonal across the bed of it and lapping up both corners.  That head must have been at least 16-18” across and the thing had to be at least 6.5 feet long!  Phones didn’t have cameras back then (this was in about 1993? While I was in vet school and working at a convenience store) or I’d have proof.  I suspect he has pics but he never reported it even though I told him he should (I suspect he may have been fishing without a license or someplace he didn’t have permission to be).  I was working that night and he just had to show everybody he came across.  To say he was a little amped would be a massive understatement.  😆 

• Love 1