Hello from the Hoosier State!

Dtolb15

Hello and thank you all for this great community! 

I am Dustin, from Indiana.

Text book Nerm as I am also a Solider in the Army, about to hit 13 years… 7 to go!!! I’m currently recruiting and may possibly finish my time as a recruiter to better support my family.

I am too an aspiring professional bass fisherman. My love for the outdoors and fishing has always be intertwined with keeping and raising parts of it in my home.

Now that’s I’ve settled in an Army assignment that should keep me in one place for more than a few years, I am finally setting up some breeding tanks and to come, a full fish room! 

I currently keep 6 tanks out in my garage and one in my oldest daughters room. If both weren’t such a mess I’d have a picture to share.😅 Both my girls love interacting with all the aquariums, my 5 year old helps with the maintenance, counts her baby shrimp and variatus fry while my 6m old can just stare for hours as the fish swim by. 

Currently, I am breeding Sterbais, Mutt Guppies, Blue Dream Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, “Skittle” Shrimp, Platies and more Malaysian trumpet snails than anyone could imagine. I am waiting for a few species of plecos to grow out and currently sourcing some other project fish. 

Lastly, I am a Aquarium Co-Op die hard, I’ve been a member the last two years and couldn’t be more impressed with the team and again this community. Not sure why I have waiting so long to join the forum, regardless, I am here to stay! I hope to use the forum, the community and social aspect as a resource to aid my mental health, learn a ton and share my experiences! 

Attached are a few random pictures from around the tanks… next skill to develop… taking aquarium photos 😂

Thanks again! I am grateful for everyone’s contributions and love for nature! 

F2974604-A868-4531-8CC9-6CF87F1C65C8.jpeg

69188147-0020-4508-AF61-63661D191E51.jpeg

60C20E5E-FDD6-450E-81EB-DFD23F546323.jpeg

A33AD86F-B874-4192-A212-B0C958585BA7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Welcome neighbor (Ohio fishkeeper here). Glad to have you and can’t wait to see what your hobby develops into. I also love all things outdoors and going bass fishing pretty much anytime I can, (keep my pole in the car in case I drive by a puddle that might have them in there) lol) This forum is amazing it has completely consumed me at times, entertained me at others, even saved me on numerous occasions. Nice to meet you, thank you for your service and can’t wait to see more from you…

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:13 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

Welcome neighbor (Ohio fishkeeper here). Glad to have you and can’t wait to see what your hobby develops into. I also love all things outdoors and going bass fishing pretty much anytime I can, (keep my pole in the car in case I drive by a puddle that might have them in there) lol) This forum is amazing it has completely consumed me at times, entertained me at others, even saved me on numerous occasions. Nice to meet you, thank you for your service and can’t wait to see more from you…

You gotta be ready! I moved back to Indiana from Georgia a few years ago. Back in Georgia, I’d fish nearly every lunch break I got! Indiana fishing isn’t as prolific or I’d likely do the same haha! 

Thank you for your kind works and support! I look forward to follow along with you too! 

On 2/27/2023 at 12:28 AM, Levi_Aquatics said:

First of all, thank you for your service and welcome to the forum! I am a fellow fisherman too and enjoy catching bass along with other species of fish native to western Maryland. It looks like your shimp are loving life and doing great, so congrats on that!

Thank you and I am happy to be here!! Most recently I mainly target bass but grew up catching anything that would bite and haul nets with my grandfather who was a commercial fisherman on the river! 

Thanks!!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 8:09 PM, Dtolb15 said:

Currently, I am breeding Sterbais, Mutt Guppies, Blue Dream Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, “Skittle” Shrimp, Platies and more Malaysian trumpet snails than anyone could imagine. I am waiting for a few species of plecos to grow out and currently sourcing some other project fish. 

What other project fish are you sourcing?

Do you have an LFS that you sell/trade to? It sounds like you have a good setup for lots of popular stuff.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 10:56 AM, Schuyler said:

What other project fish are you sourcing?

Do you have an LFS that you sell/trade to? It sounds like you have a good setup for lots of popular stuff.

I'm picking up at least two new species of plecos Friday, blue eye short and long fin. Also on the hunt for a good group of l134s to grow out and breed. I have my eye on several others at my LFS and online to include rice fish, blue moscow guppies, and maybe some more desirable snails just to name a few.

And yes I do have a supportive LFS, in fact as a kid, I use to go to the same store with my neighbor when he was spawning saltwater fish. So its been rewarding to "come full circle" so to speak. I was just about a weekly customer there for more than a year before I approached them with my breeding projects. They welcomed me with open arms and we have made some very positive transactions! I am currently only taking store credit from them as I try to build out the fish room an establish the type of breeding and selling model I want to follow. I have also dug deep into local market research and see that there are a few more LFS who would be interested in working together. Although I am being very mindful from a business stand point, I am currently just enjoying the process, not trying to overwhelm myself or take away from my passion and not taking the monetary values too serious just yet.

On 2/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, Theplatymaster said:

have you ever been to The Reef?

i dont know it that's your area of indiana, but its a really great store in Indianapolis, ive been there.

I have not yet, but do hear a lot of great things about it. Its a bit of a commute for me. As my hobby grows, I really want to get involved with local clubs, one of which being in Indy. Soon I hope to carve out a little time to make the meetings and visits the further LFS. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 11:09 PM, Dtolb15 said:

Hello and thank you all for this great community! 

I am Dustin, from Indiana.

Text book Nerm as I am also a Solider in the Army, about to hit 13 years… 7 to go!!! I’m currently recruiting and may possibly finish my time as a recruiter to better support my family.

I am too an aspiring professional bass fisherman. My love for the outdoors and fishing has always be intertwined with keeping and raising parts of it in my home.

Now that’s I’ve settled in an Army assignment that should keep me in one place for more than a few years, I am finally setting up some breeding tanks and to come, a full fish room! 

I currently keep 6 tanks out in my garage and one in my oldest daughters room. If both weren’t such a mess I’d have a picture to share.😅 Both my girls love interacting with all the aquariums, my 5 year old helps with the maintenance, counts her baby shrimp and variatus fry while my 6m old can just stare for hours as the fish swim by. 

Lastly, I am a Aquarium Co-Op die hard, I’ve been a member the last two years and couldn’t be more impressed with the team and again this community. Not sure why I have waiting so long to join the forum, regardless, I am here to stay! I hope to use the forum, the community and social aspect as a resource to aid my mental health, learn a ton and share my experiences! 

Attached are a few random pictures from around the tanks… next skill to develop… taking aquarium photos 😂

Thanks again! I am grateful for everyone’s contributions and love for nature! 

F2974604-A868-4531-8CC9-6CF87F1C65C8.jpeg

69188147-0020-4508-AF61-63661D191E51.jpeg

60C20E5E-FDD6-450E-81EB-DFD23F546323.jpeg

A33AD86F-B874-4192-A212-B0C958585BA7.jpeg

Welcome my friend, it's nice to see someone from the Hoosier state 
I'm 1 as well, been in this form a short while & love the people in it 
Thank You for your service ❤ Hubby served in the army as well in the 
70's & my sons served in the marine's so we love our troops.

I hope you enjoy your time on here cause there are a lot of people 
that know what is going on when it comes to water in a box hobby 
love the photos you have & glad to see you here we are Aquarium Co-Op
fans as well so welcome aboard.

• Love 1