Sunlit 1 gallon Evergladei pygmy sunfish breeding jar

I caught the sun lighting up this little breeding jar and felt I should share. This jar is a no-tech jar with no light other than the sunlight and no filtration other than the pothos, Java moss, susswasertang, and hornwort. They’re real hard to get a picture of as any movement spooks them, but in the second photo you can see a bit of one of the females

0DEB7774-CB15-4548-B1FF-211D6A61C709.jpeg

F65E8F6D-D2AD-412C-9787-1A195B92517E.jpeg

• Like 5

@Daniel Thanks it’s a nickname I’ve been using for years. I hatch out live baby brine shrimp every day so they get some of that as well as a pipette full of vinegar eels everyday for any fry that might be in there. I’m trying to get a white worm culture going so I can offer them that for some variety but I keep crashing them due to impatience and over feeding. 

What are you feeding yours? Any success at breeding them?

Edited by Mikey Walnuts
Hit post too early

11 hours ago, Mikey Walnuts said:

What are you feeding yours? Any success at breeding them?

I feed mine mostly baby brine shrimp and blackworms.

I have not bred the current crop of E. gilberti, but I did breed the others in the past. The males would make a territory centered on a dense piece of hornwort and then would dance and waggle and flick to lure the females in. The babies ate brine shrimp just like the parents.

• Like 1

@Cole They’re a really neat fish and one of the easiest fish I’ve ever kept in a water quality way. The main downside is I’ve only been able to get them to eat live foods so either you have to maintain live food cultures or hatch baby brine. The other thing is they are very skittish and hide most of the time. For the most part I have to observe them from a few feet away and need to sit still long enough for them to come out

• Like 1