Transferring fish outdoors

Kat_Rigel

Hi all! I was recently watching Cory's videos on outdoor tub ponds and felt inspired! So I set up a little something on the balcony (perfect because my one bedroom apartment doesn't have a lot of space for tanks 🙃) Now I am at the point where I need to stock it, but I'm afraid! The temperatures seem so drastic! For example, I have my happy, established tank that sits at like 78/79*F all day and night. My outdoor temps right now are 85* high and low of 56*. I have been monitoring the temp today and it has risen from 58* this morning to 66* (which is less of a change than I expected- I thought it would get hotter.) It seems like such a temperature swing! How can I put fish in there?! Cory's video also said he was thinking of adding mystery snails- but it seems too cold! I am located in Northern California, and usually it is a bit hotter right now. Should I avoid the livebearers I was planning on and go with cloud minnows? But what if it heats up? Am I too late in the season to start?

Oh my. Such uncertainty with outdoor ponds! Lol Advice appreciated, especially if you've had any experience with outdoor ponds.

Pond is a 20gal tub with sponge filter and airstone, hornwort, a dying something or other plant, and rotala.

20200720_175503.jpg

• Like 2

I think if these are still your current temperatures, it may be a bit cold for mystery snails. White clouds are pretty adaptable. I don't know what your highs are in the summertime, but mine reach over 100 degrees sometimes for weeks at a time, and my minnows have handled the hot summer months fine, just stopped breeding temporarily. It has been storming and has gotten cool out again for the last week and I have seen tiny fry in the tub again. I have never tried Guppies or Platies in high 50s to low 60s but it seems a bit cold for them. Minnows would love those temperatures though. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, Kat_Rigel said:

Hi all! I was recently watching Cory's videos on outdoor tub ponds and felt inspired! So I set up a little something on the balcony (perfect because my one bedroom apartment doesn't have a lot of space for tanks 🙃) Now I am at the point where I need to stock it, but I'm afraid! The temperatures seem so drastic! For example, I have my happy, established tank that sits at like 78/79*F all day and night. My outdoor temps right now are 85* high and low of 56*. I have been monitoring the temp today and it has risen from 58* this morning to 66* (which is less of a change than I expected- I thought it would get hotter.) It seems like such a temperature swing! How can I put fish in there?! Cory's video also said he was thinking of adding mystery snails- but it seems too cold! I am located in Northern California, and usually it is a bit hotter right now. Should I avoid the livebearers I was planning on and go with cloud minnows? But what if it heats up? Am I too late in the season to start?

Oh my. Such uncertainty with outdoor ponds! Lol Advice appreciated, especially if you've had any experience with outdoor ponds.

Pond is a 20gal tub with sponge filter and airstone, hornwort, a dying something or other plant, and rotala.

20200720_175503.jpg

Whitclouds would be perfect. You want to monitor your water temp not your air Temps. Water changes temp much slower. You could do Japanese trapdoor snails instead of mystery snails for cold water. You don't want to arrate your tote if you are having large temp swings. I have 4 300g Ibc totes and no filtration or arration. Only plants and fish and I don't feed much. 

• Thanks 1

You could consider shading (patio umbrella?)  and/or insulating with bricks or an outer layer, to try for a more consistent temperature/narrower range. And when monitoring the water temp, you might check what the bottom temperature is compared to top.

Looking forward to hearing updates!