Hydra

smm333

I have hydra in my shrimp tank. It's really starting to creep me out. I added strawberry rasboras to see if they'd eat it, but I haven't seen them eat any. It's on the glass as well as large rocks and plants. 

Has anyone tried chemical treatments that worked safely with shrimp? I know most are harmful to snails.

I ordered some spixi snails, but I don't know how long I am comfortable waiting with it in the tank. The spixis  should be here in about a week. I don't have baby shrimp, and I haven't seen berried females (although I'm not sure how easy it is to tell with blue dreams).

Any ideas or advice? 

20230224_223008.jpg

I would not go the chemical route if your Spixii will be there in a week. The Spixii will clean them up. The white hydra do get big enough to nab baby shrimp but they are slow hunters. By the time you get your chemicals the snails will be there. Then you risk the chemicals remaining in the tank harming your new snails. 
Congrats on the Spixii they are a ton of fun. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2023 at 6:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

I would not go the chemical route if your Spixii will be there in a week. The Spixii will clean them up. The white hydra do get big enough to nab baby shrimp but they are slow hunters. By the time you get your chemicals the snails will be there. Then you risk the chemicals remaining in the tank harming your new snails. 
Congrats on the Spixii they are a ton of fun. 

Thank you. I don't want to do chemicals. Seeing how many are in the tank just has me super stressed. 

I am looking forward to the spixis. They were hard to hunt down. I may try to breed some for my LFS. More people should be able to get these guys!

On 2/26/2023 at 3:31 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Start here....

I am with you. In my shrimp tanks I don't want anything like that.

Ha ha! When I first noticed the hydra I watched that video Cory put out. I was frantic and freaking out and had to laugh when he said "don't freak out". Easier said than done. They are creepy and the more you look, the more you see. 😨

On 2/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, smm333 said:

Thank you. I don't want to do chemicals. Seeing how many are in the tank just has me super stressed. 

I am looking forward to the spixis. They were hard to hunt down. I may try to breed some for my LFS. More people should be able to get these guys!

I got mine finally a good excuse when I had a fry/ shrimp tank finally get a carpet of the green ones. I keep 3 types of hydra. I think they are cool and have never had issues with them. My Spixii snails bred very easily. Started with 11 have given away over 100. They really are fun. Easy to control numbers as the egg sacs are huge and easy to see and remove. 

• Like 1

I had hydra but I left them alone and they don’t bother anything. They are green, I think they are eating algae. I’ve only ever seen them on the walls.

On 2/26/2023 at 2:45 AM, smm333 said:

I haven't seen berried females (although I'm not sure how easy it is to tell with blue dreams).

Here is what mine looks like. It is easy to tell. At first the ladies were fanning with no eggs. I guess they were practicing. But when they have eggs you can tell.

image.png.74f674ae08d327e5ac74fcb73b91f928.png

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 1:28 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I had hydra but I left them alone and they don’t bother anything. They are green, I think they are eating algae. I’ve only ever seen them on the walls.

Here is what mine looks like. It is easy to tell. At first the ladies were fanning with no eggs. I guess they were practicing. But when they have eggs you can tell.

image.png.74f674ae08d327e5ac74fcb73b91f928.png

Nice! My other shrimp are red rili so it's easy to see through the white area. The blues are so dark- I'm glad I will be able to tell!

I have a few green hydra but most are white. They are on plants, glass, rocks- everywhere. ☹