King Koopa nerite hibernating?

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On Feb 14, I moved Kratos the nerite from the betta tank (80 degrees) to the 29g (78 degrees) because he was being attacked. I bag acclimated for 30 minutes, removing water and adding water at the 15 minutes mark.

He crawled from the front to the back of the tank and dug half a hole, went in it, and hasn’t come out since. I tried to check on him but I cannot move him, he has the most powerful suction in the world.

Last water change I noticed his poops around him, so I know he’s alive. Seems like an awfully long time to stay in the same spot. What can I do for the fellow?

80kh

180gh

7.5ph

nitrate 25

nitrite 0

amm 0

chlorine 0

temp 78

171FCA42-A64A-42AD-991A-30CE33662E5B.jpeg

CA25922E-9601-4EA8-A2E4-ADEC8EA26406.jpeg

F1A32EF4-C624-4AE3-A2E1-AE06B48F0532.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Sad 1

I think he might be stressed and maybe lost his antenna or something when he was bullied. This might be causing him to be scared of opening.

I would personally leave him alone and let him feel safe and comfy for some time, and make sure nothing disturbs him even us as humans. I think trying to move him may cause more stress, cause both being bullied by tank mates and changing tanks are stress factors anyway. As there is no way to cure snails anyway, I would just let it do whatever he wants to do

Hope your lil friend does better soon and there is nothing to worry about

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What kind of nerite is it?  How long have you had it before the tank swap?

All nerites can and at times do burrow but some species more than others. Hair nerites and king Koopa in my experience do the most but I have seen them all do it from time to time. Those 2 in particular tho rarely ever come up. The next one I would say spends a lot of time down there, and also has a firm suction cup so makes me think it might be, is red lip. 

I will say tho, eventho it is normal for nerites to burrow from time to time, and some to spend most of their time down there, for some species of nerites is can be an indication that they don't like something in the tank. More often they will just go for a walk if they are actually frightened. Once, when I added a yoyo loach, I had a nerite constantly leaving the tank until I let him live in a different one. But still, I have seen burrowing behavior happen during other changes as well. I once added a bunch of mystery snails and all the nerites burrowed much more than the previously had. Basically, it might just be a response to the change in environment or from being picked on in the previous tank. What else is in this tank with it?

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2023 at 5:54 AM, Cinnebuns said:

What kind of nerite is it?  How long have you had it before the tank swap?

All nerites can and at times do burrow but some species more than others. Hair nerites and king Koopa in my experience do the most but I have seen them all do it from time to time. Those 2 in particular tho rarely ever come up. The next one I would say spends a lot of time down there, and also has a firm suction cup so makes me think it might be, is red lip. 

I will say tho, eventho it is normal for nerites to burrow from time to time, and some to spend most of their time down there, for some species of nerites is can be an indication that they don't like something in the tank. More often they will just go for a walk if they are actually frightened. Once, when I added a yoyo loach, I had a nerite constantly leaving the tank until I let him live in a different one. But still, I have seen burrowing behavior happen during other changes as well. I once added a bunch of mystery snails and all the nerites burrowed much more than the previously had. Basically, it might just be a response to the change in environment or from being picked on in the previous tank. What else is in this tank with it?

11/19 is when I got Kratos, a king Koopa nerite. He was living with a betta. I had never seen the betta pick on him except one time when he was first added. Then 2/14 I noticed the betta trying to get at him, so I moved him. The betta tank is 80 degrees; the community tank is 78. I bag acclimated him 30 minutes, with a partial water swap at 15 min.

I placed him on the sand and he went behind the PFS and partially burrowed and that’s where he is. 

8 mysteries, 1 other (zebra) nerite, 18 tetras, 1 Bolivian ram, and 2 elusive shrimp.

0160B1A3-86C6-49E6-91FD-13C9FD9CCFE0.png.8d304b7efa00bb2ba8e89ea8b12df3ae.png

This is a pic of what Kratos looks like (not his current location)

0BAB257A-CBF4-45F5-BD5D-37CDAE1F3CC9.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

That might explain it then. King Koopa snails are one of 2 that many sites categorize especially as a burrowing snail for a reason. In my experience, them and hair thorn nerites don't spend a ton of time above the substrate. It's actually the exact reason I'm considering getting more of them. They make for a great alternative to MTS for a substrate sifter. Not nearly as good yes but an option nonetheless. 

99721AC4-1AA5-4B15-8EE2-62773AAA4C67.jpeg

On 3/5/2023 at 6:03 AM, Cinnebuns said:

That might explain it then. King Koopa snails are one of 2 that many sites categorize especially as a burrowing snail for a reason. In my experience, them and hair thorn nerites don't spend a ton of time above the substrate. It's actually the exact reason I'm considering getting more of them. They make for a great alternative to MTS for a substrate sifter. Not nearly as good yes but an option nonetheless. 

No kidding! I did not know. That’s cool. I feel better. He’s doing his natural thing. Thanks! 🙏

One time in the betta tank he went on an eating frenzy and ate basically all the algae in the tank in 2 days.. and there was a LOT! @Cinnebuns

I took photos of his progress.

165C050E-230B-4A32-A944-82D25200EE1F.jpeg

943B7064-2752-4260-8AFB-D32675DABB94.jpeg

AB9847E6-E5A2-41DC-87A9-A62F0318B7E0.jpeg

4F832FBF-253F-407A-A113-9FA8A79DA9A6.jpeg

8322D670-9CBB-424E-9957-B20807D6BA41.jpeg

B879D5E4-9391-400D-B7AE-74B3B3AA2701.jpeg

9E56600A-BB30-4E62-8169-06E0783D2B85.jpeg

F5BBFD11-6CE2-4EFD-8A26-2D75B76C84C7.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It's so incredible how much algae a nerite can eat. It's part of why I have to stop myself from buying more and more or I won't be able to feed them lol. Idk why, but I always get an urge to buy nerites. King Koopas are one of my favorite too as well as the hair nerite because of their double duty with helping the substrate. I like my racers too because they are pretty!  They also have been my healthiest ones tbh. 

On 3/5/2023 at 5:11 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Then he took a nap or hibernate or whatnot for like 2 weeks.

Food coma haha

Tbh, I noticed them all do that. I keep 1 in my shrimp tank to help with some algae in there. She'll be super active for a few days cruising around and eating all the things and then be chilling above the water line sleeping for a week. 

On 3/5/2023 at 6:12 AM, Cinnebuns said:

It's so incredible how much algae a nerite can eat. It's part of why I have to stop myself from buying more and more or I won't be able to feed them lol

I supplemented him by swirling a little Soilent green Repashy in the water and also he latched on to a catappa leaf.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:15 AM, Cinnebuns said:

They will also eat driftwood. Mopani specifically is a favorite

I had one in there for him but had to take it out because the betta was getting fin tears. Although I pretty much figured out it was tail biting. But I never saw Kratos latch to the driftwood. (Not mopani)

856F5AE1-8818-4596-AB4D-3BAC2BF50E00.jpeg

On 3/5/2023 at 5:04 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Yeah I don’t know. I really think he’s hibernating. But he did dig more this week. Just a little.

Are you certain he is not out and about at night and returning to the same spot?  My original Nemo used to do that. He had one spot he slept in for months but I would catch him out and about on night checks. 

• Like 1