I was wondering if there is any fish that can go all year in Calgary Alberta? The winter temps easily get as cold as -20c (-4f) but usually somewhere in between-20c and -30c (-22f) sometimes it could even get colder every once in a while. If I insulated the pond and added a top during the winter is there any fish that would do fine in such extreme temperatures?

On 2/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics To my knowledge, there is literally nothing in the hobby that can go that low in temp. Have you asked your LFS? 

I haven’t but I’ll probably just bring fish in for the winter like a usually do but it would be cool if I could leave something outside all year. 

Water will likely freeze at that temp meaning the water below will be insulated. It likely won’t actually drop below 56 degrees. As for fish that like those temps it’s your typical goldfish and certain species of bait fish like minnows and bass. 

It’s unfortunate to not be able to keep native fish. US and Canada are similar in that regard. Id argue sportsfish and carp have done more damage than good, but all we can do is abide by the rules and scream in our pillows at night.

• Like 3

If I remember correctly from high school science class, once a body of water reaches a certain depth (only like 1 or 2 ft) then the bottom of that water will always be 4f or warmer. Not sure if I am remembering that right but I do know your water near the bottom isn’t that cold unless it is literally frozen solid top to bottom. I’d try feeder comets to see if they live and experiment from there.

Edited by BlueLineAquaticsSC
  • Like 2