Heating/aerating a plant only tub?

billango

So I've seen with my own two eyes that adding or maintaining heat can make a significant difference to terrestrial plant growth just with some plants that I've kept myself. Even if the difference is going just from 65 to 75 F. I also have seen a video from the Growing Answers youtube channel that aerating the roots of a pepper plant growing hydroponically yielded faster and larger growth. My question is just if anyone has observed this to any meaning degree with fully submerged aquarium plants for either the heat or aeration aspects. I'm sure an airstone can have the benefit of circulating the water which might help distribute any fertilizers and such, but I am more interested in the aeration aspect of adding an airstone. Any feedback would be appreciated, but I'll probably experiment with it anyways lol. 

I think most aquarium plants prefer cooler temps. Especially ones from more temperate climates. Aeration is good for all plants. The thing you have to remember is that with plants there is always a limiting factor to growth. A big one for aquatic plants, I think, is access to C02. There is so much of it in atmospheric air compared to water. Many slow growing aquatic plants (well, marginal/amphibious), will grow like gangbusters emersed for this reason.

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Thanks 1

Yes to both. I moved away from UGF many years ago. I re-added them to all my tanks in 2021. My root feeding plants went crazy. I was able to grow Val for the first time ever out if 2 dozen failed previous attempts. I don’t use fertilizers or roots tabs then or now. 
My house sits consistently 68-69 year round. I keep plant holding bins, buckets etc. i have clip on lights for the buckets. I switched to a 10 g I had removed the inhabitants from. It is set at 74-75 with the heater. I went from just holding plants to now they grow like mad and I sell them at my club auction. The buckets and tank are uninhabited so I did and do use liquid fertilizer 

• Thanks 1